New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rebecca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:41:06  Show Profile
i've just noticed some tiny black crawling things on one of my pythons the size of a pin head i've only spotted a couple but presume its mites whats the best way to get rid of them and also i guess i need to clean the viv - thanks

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:52:41  Show Profile
sounds like mite to me...

first of all you need to quarantine your python from any other snakes you have.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like mites, sorry.

There are a few treatments available like Frontline, but they should be used very carefully.

Take everything out of the viv and replace the substrate with kitchen towel until you have got rid of them. Anything that can be bleached or baked should be. Anything else will probably have to be chucked.

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  19:45:39  Show Profile
all snakes have seperate vivs so just use frontline get rid of substrate and hey ho everything should be ok and bake what i can he keeps going in his water bowl bless him is that ok ?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  20:30:15  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
he's probably just trying to get rid of the mites himself by drowning them, the water provides some relief from them. everything should be removed and bleached (10% bleach solution for a few hours) and baked as per BE's post. anything that could harbour mites or eggs ie. anything not plastic should be removed until you're sure they've been eradicated.
re-infestation is likely 2-3 weeks after the initial treatment due to mite eggs hatching so keep everything simple (2 hides and water bowl, paper/kitchen roll substrate) incase you need to retreat the snake and enclosure/equipment, it wil also help you spot them should the reappear.
you can buy treatments such as 'mite off' and frontline spray to kill the mites and treat the enclosure. make sure you open the windows to reduce any fumes in the room you're treating the viv and snake in and avoid the product getting into the eyes, nose and mouth of the snake.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000