Royal baths?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  15:27:47  Show Profile
Do you bath your royal? Is it neccessary ? I see it helps them pass body fluids/helps shedding, but other than that is it needed....?

Do they like water or is it something they put up with? Any tips on bathing my royal?

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  16:47:19  Show Profile
I don't think it's actually a necessity but like you say, a bath round shed time helps and sometimes bathing royals help them poo so it might be good for them to do it now and then.

Luke warm water, about as deep as the snake, thats what I do anyway.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  17:37:18  Show Profile
If your providing your royal with a water bowl thats big enough to fit its whole body in, then you dont really need to. If your not though, it would be good for them to get into water now and again. Like you've said, it helps them with passing waste and shedding.

If you have a thermometer with a waterproof probe you can use it to check the temp of the bath. I aim for 27-32*C. Dont make it any deeper than the height of the snakes spine.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:20:02  Show Profile
Just thought I'd share my snake story...

So, I'm new to this snake thing right. So, we had trouble a while back with humidity and I saw this youtube video of this kid giving his snake a bath in the bathtub while he sprayed down the tank to up the humidity. So, I thought, hmm... Let me do that...

Okay, I was snakophobic before we had the snakes and I was very new to handling snakes - probably only had her for a month or so at that time. The hubby was out playing basketball but I had my 2 snake-expert sons (ages 5 and 7) with me, so I figured, how hard can this be? My 7 year old told me not to do it because snakes don't want to have baths... And, of course, I didn't listen... So, I put some water in the bathtub enough to cover his body with the top of her thickest part still showing. Now, I put it on warm water - as in, warm enough for me to bathe in (big mistake). I dropped the snake in and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!! She spazzed out like crazy! She tried her hardest to get out of the tub and everytime she goes on the side she slips down bringing shampoo bottles, etc... down on top of her! Oh, it was bad. I freaked out!!! She managed to give a big heave-ho and fell off the side of the tub. I couldn't do anything, I was paralyzed with fright. My 7-year-old remained calm - amazing kid - grabbed the snake before it could hide anywhere, my 5-year-old grabbed her feeding tank and they managed to contain the snake. They put her back in the tank, but in the process she sank part of her tail in the waterbowl which got her psychotic again and she tried to jump out of her tank (we have front-doors on the tank), my son grabbed her neck to put her back in and she struck - but my son was quick with the front door and she hit the glass instead. I thought for sure my son was going to get phobic, but, he took it all in stride and even made me hot chocolate to make me feel better. He did give me a big, "I TOLD YOU THEY DON'T LIKE BATHS!"...

So yeah... No baths in the bathtub...

After much learning and finger-wagging by some of my snake friends, I now put her in a tupperware, same amount of water but TEPID this time - no more than 90 degrees F. I even put Shed-Ease on it now which makes their skin silky and my snake has been okay with it. I cover the tupperware and put it back in the viv and let her soak for about 30-45 minutes. I only bathe her when she gets poop on her or after she has shed and there are a few of the old skin stuck.

Also, we got her from the store with mites on her! It was our first snake so we didn't know to look her over for mites before purchasing. She used to soak in her waterbowl to get the mites off! She never did that again though after we got rid of the mites.

Well, hope this helps...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:24:09  Show Profile
Yeah warm enough for humans is like WAY too hot for Royals. Slightly warm water and they don't mind it too much
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:09:18  Show Profile
Wow that story sounds alarming! poor lil thing, glad its ok now though!

Well i am only using a small bowl for now because the larger bowl sent humidity to high. Ill guess ill make the judgement call as and when it may be needed.

Thanks for your inputs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000