Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:05:47  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

Some of you might recognise me from rfuk, but there seems to always be a problem over there with the server at the moment.

Anyway, I'm getting my first Royal on Sunday. I'm picking up the viv tomorrow. Obviously I need to get everything set up before I get the Royal. I have a question about the lighting. I was under the impression that the red heat lamp should go at one end of the viv while the heat mat goes at the other. However, I have now come across info stating that the heat mat should be on the same side as the bulb. Could anyone clarify this for me please? Also, depending on the answer to this question, how many thermostats are needed?

Another question following on from heating- the viv is wooden, should the heat mat go under the viv or actually in the viv under the substrate?

Thanks for your help.

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:20:35  Show Profile
hi and welcome...

i would say you dont actually need to use both heat lamp and heat mat. but some people do though.

for a basic set up you need to put the heat lamp and/or mat at one end of the viv. the mat goes on the inside of the wooden viv.
as for how many stats you need. if your puting them both at the same end you will require a dimming stat. this will stop the light from constantly switching on and off everytime the stat kicks in or out.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:22:33  Show Profile
In wooden vivs you put the mat inside but cover it with something like lino to stop the snake burrowing and coming into direct contact.

In vivs there should be a hot end and a cool end, so I would suggest having both heat sources in the one end. - anyone else feel free to correct me.

With regards to the thermostats, you'll need one for each source. A Dimming thermostat will work best with the light as it won't make it flick on and off which may cause disturbance to your snake.

Budget plays a big part in choice of a stat for the mat, pulse proportional are best but are more expensive, microclimate do a mat stat for small mats thats a lot cheaper, but less accurate.

However with all thermostats I would suggest getting a separate thermometer to check temps rather than the dials on the stats which are notoriously inaccurate.
Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:33:55  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses. OK, so if I don't actually need the bulb, how many people here actually do bother with one? And what are your reasons for this?

As for the positioning of the heat mat inside the viv, I heard elsewhere that it's OK to put it under the viv and the heat will make it through the wood. Is that really not possible, as I don't really know where to start in covering it to protect the snake from burning himself on it.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:39:14  Show Profile
in my opinion i would use the heat lamp as these heat large bodied snakes alot better than a heat mat.(is it a infra red one?)

the heat mat has to go in the viv. i cover mine with either a bit of newspaper or cardboard.

the stat should stop you heat source from getting hot enough to burn you snake.

Edited by - dazb on 04/02/2009 19:41:39
Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:43:40  Show Profile
Yes I was going to get a red light

Brilliant, I was thinking it would be expensive and complicated to cover the heat mat. I take it you also have a hole drilled in the viv for the wire/ plug of the heatmat to be plugged in?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:49:58  Show Profile
yeah just drill a hole. The cover for me is just to stop any liquid(pee/water) settling on the mat.

i have heat mats in mine at the moment, but im just building a stack and changing to ceramic lamps and pulse stats.

Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:05:12  Show Profile
Sorry, to go back to a previous post, would the dimming stat that stops the light flicking on and off only control the light and I'd need a separate on for the mat?

Sorry if I'm coming across as a complete numpty, my Dad has always been the one sorting out stuff like this.
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:21:35  Show Profile
No worries, we're here to help.

You can get twin channel thermostats but to be honest either a mat or a lamp should do, you don't really need both.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:27:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'd get rid of the mat and go just for the red bulb.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:29:48  Show Profile
I'd agree, I'm thinking of moving to ceramics soon.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:37:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What's your username on the other forum?

Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:52:12  Show Profile
Blackecho, my username on the other forum is also Perky.

Ah, now you are beginning to confuse me a little (although the help is really appreciated!). So the bulb alone is enough as a heat source? I'd always thought the mat was needed.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:54:17  Show Profile
Some people use a bulb in the day and a mat at night but the mat isnt really needed.

Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:01:24  Show Profile
Thanks. I'd be very interested to hear what the majority of people use.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:05:13  Show Profile
I use a mat at the moment but will be changing to a red bulb or a ceramic soon. I cant decide which though.

Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:11:58  Show Profile
OK great. So let's say, going from the info you've all given me, that I just go for the red bulb. How does this effect there being a 'cool end' to the viv? Surely the heat from the bulb would spread through the whole viv?
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:24:53  Show Profile
The bulbs concentrate heat downwards to the floor, creating a basking spot.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:25:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How big is the viv?

I have mine in 3' vivs with 75W Red Heat bulbs, giving 30-32C at the hot end and 22-25C at the cool end.

Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:26:19  Show Profile
The viv is just over 3 ft long, 39".
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
I'm new too all of this, but I've got a bulb & no mat. My breeder definately doesn't like mats.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000