New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:03:50  Show Profile
I feed my royal live since I grow my own rats. I know it's a touchy subject feeding live versus thawed. I've replied to some posts before about my opinion on live feeding so I figured to start this thread. I always say that I don't find anything unethical about feeding live prey to a royal python since that is what they eat in the wild. BUT, it requires very strict supervision to feed your royals live prey. So, if you are queasy about watching a rat get killed, get a royal that eats thawed. I have pet rats and hamsters too whom I love, so feeding live was a bit difficult for me. You have to watch the snake/rat at all times while the rat is still alive! You can't leave for a bit!

This is what happens to a royal if left alone with a live prey:

This happened when some idiot store owner gave a rat to a royal and left them alone. A lady rescued the python from the freezer (they were going to euthanize the snake) and with much pressure from the ball python community took the snake to a vet and has now recuperated amazingly.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:10:20  Show Profile
Two of the most ridiculous things to do, both from a shop/store owner.
Really makes me wish I could swear on here.

I've seen pics like this.

Like I said on the other thread, I have nothing against it, it's totally natural.
I just don't think I could do it myself.

Saw a video the other day of a live rabbit being fed to a burm or something... the screams were horrible to say the least.

However, like I said, nothing against it. I think it's better that the snake keeps it's natural killing responses, just couldn't do it.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:11:06  Show Profile
That is a terrible injry. I have to say if it was my snake I would have looked into having it PTS too.

Also I think it is understood by alot of people now that freezing is not a human way to euthanize an animal more complex than an insect.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:21:15  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Thats terrible,i too think its ok to feed live if there was no other way,but why risk injurys like that.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:24:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Ouch

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  23:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
that's sick, am i the only person that thinks animal abusers deserve the same sentence as human crimes? sorry if this is nicking the thread

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish

Edited by - Dazzetski on 04/02/2009 23:27:03
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  05:29:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dazzetski

that's sick, am i the only person that thinks animal abusers deserve the same sentence as human crimes? sorry if this is nicking the thread

I totally agree with this. There has been several studies made that a lot of people who abuse spouses/children/anybody started off abusing little animals.

So, animal abuse is something that needs to be dealt with seriously! Although, there is a difference between intentionally hurting an animal and accidentally hurting an animal due to ignorance, I still think that this kind of carelessness should carry some repercussions.

I wonder if the snake could scream or cry if people would treat them better? I've had several people tell me to kill my snakes before they kill my kids!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  12:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Poor snakey- you'd think the shop owner would know better.

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  12:28:45  Show Profile
It really makes you think does`nt it. When there are so many care sheets and books out there and people do not take and act on the advice given. Also the fact that this incident sounds like it happened in a pet shop where the owner no doubt thought he knew everything.
Yes we all know that snakes live on live prey in the wild, but we do not keep them in the wild where the concerned rat would have fled rather than decided to fight.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  13:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Plus a lot of wild snakes have scars for obvious reasons

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: