New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:49:38  Show Profile
This is really off topic, but i think a lot..lol...and was thinking today, that in London we have colonies of parakeets living wild, colonies of goldfish in the Thames, a spider similar to a black widow living here now. Goodness knows what else is out there.

What about snakes? could foreign species released into the wild survive? I mean look at where some rattle snakes live in the US, and it gets colder in there winters than ours, so why could they or others not colonise here to?

what do you think?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:54:49  Show Profile
Im sure some species could, but the ones from hotter areas in the world could'nt without man made things helping them I guess. An example are hot water pipes that could supply heat for them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:56:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I believe that there are corns living wild.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:57:35  Show Profile
I recon there are some living wild, but I dont think they breed (maybe a few find correct conditions?)

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  11:22:52  Show Profile
why could they not breed? animals are far better at adapting than we are, I agree with the ones like the big boas and stuff that need warmer climate, but ours is getting warmer.
I wonder if they did breed what the effect would be on our native snakes...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  16:35:56  Show Profile
I mean they they could breed, but I didnt think the eggs would make it. Maybe they would though? I might have to go on a googling mission.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  18:03:17  Show Profile
This is a big problem in Florida. That's why, in Florida, you can't own a snake that can potentially grow over 8 feet without a permit. And to get a permit, you have to go through classes and an inspection of your enclosure BEFORE you buy the snake.
They found several burms and retics living in the Everglades. Last year, they recovered over 80 of them. The question is not whether they compete with other snake species, the problem is the snake giants feeding on local wildlife, some of which are protected species, and upsetting the local fauna balance that is keeping the alligators from going extinct. Of course, South Florida has the weather to support burms and retics. They breed in the everglades just fine. London though, you probably won't find those surviving for long. But there are other species of pet snakes like hognoses that can adapt to London weather. They brumate in the winter as well and that period of brumation makes the hognose prime for breeding. So, yeah, a few hognoses loose will probably start a family of wild non-native snakes there.
I do know that in Guam, a few foreign snakes got in the island from the shipping docks which killed all the native birds. So, yeah, it can be quite a problem.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  16:05:07  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
can't see why not, they would just find somewhere warm (ish) for the winter to curl up. Most things can populate the sewars ;)

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  17:04:11  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
It's already happening with invertebrate species quite a lot. The false widow that somebody mentioned earlier was accidentally introduced in the 1800s and, with vertebrates, the wallaby is now a naturalised british species. With summer being warm enough and compost bins becoming more commonplace now, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we find something like the hoggy or corn becoming naturalised too.

We might find that we suddenly have potential careers with the RSPCA dealing with them .

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  20:00:56  Show Profile
Interesting subject really. I know next to nothing about native snakes, how much competition can the natives provide against foreign species? I'm mainly thinking about competition over food.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  20:19:20  Show Profile
More interestingly, could corns mate with native species or even worse eat them? our snakes are in decline anyway for various reasons, it would be so sad if they were wiped out due to smething like this.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000