New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryzi
Yearling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  13:09:28  Show Profile
hey guys just found some mites in my tank what procedure should i take to cure it now step by step if possible i wanna get rid of them thanks alot

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  20:24:35  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
first get some mite off or frontline. apply to snake with a cloth avoiding the eyes and nostrils. then clean and treat the enclosure. dispose of any substrate in there and clean hides/bowls/decor with a 10% bleach solution. when the fumes have gone replace the snake either in it's enclosure or ideally in a RUB/tub (fewer nooks and crannies for mites to hide in or lay eggs) use paper or kitchen towel as substrate, use plastic hides and water bowl keeping the set-up really simple - no decor - so everything's easily cleaned and replaced.
i wouldn't use frontline at less than 2-3 week intervals. mite off you'd have to read the instructions as i've never used it. re-infestation can occur in 2-3 weeks as any previously laid eggs that haven't been destroyed hatch out so it might be necessary to repeat the process.

other options of treatment are available, such as using hypoaspis mites, covering the snake with olive oil to smother the mites, bathing in luke warm water with a drop of soap for 15 mins (with only it's nostrils exposed from the water so it can breathe) to drown them, then wiping any cling-ons off the snake's head with a cloth.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  20:31:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Seems to be alot of mite attacks going on latley,how are snakes getting them.Are they coming in with moist subrtate or can the come in on any substrate.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  20:39:50  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they can be introduced via infected substrate or decor, transferred from an infected snake or viv via human contact, or come about by poor hygeine

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000