Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  21:57:34  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
just weighed Grace two days after being fed. She is 8 months old and weighed in at 213g and between 19-20"in length.
With her being my first Royal I just wondered if the weight is about right.

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:15:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Yeah,sounds about right,what are you feeding her?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:46:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Very difficult to tell what a weight should be for a certain age.

Obviously they all grow at different rates so that doesn't help. It also depends what you're feeding them and how often. Also, it depends how long they have actually been kept as a 'pet' as when in Pet Shops they tend to get fed a 'maintenance' diet which keeps them going but they don't grow much so that they don't outgrow the shop vivs or cost too much too feed. So the longer they are in the shop the lighter you'd expect them to be at a given age.

Hope that makes sense.

Just for reference (and nothing else), I have one about that age that I have had since 6 weeks old that weighed in tonight at 350g.

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:56:55  Show Profile
She had been feeding on Fuzzy rats while the breeder had her. I picked her up on the Monday and she was due a feed on the Tuesday, so with her being in a new enviroment I left her a week and next fed her this Tuesday which she took with no problems.

Looking BE`s post, she seems to be underweight, but as he said it was only for reference.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  05:17:55  Show Profile
Colin as long as she is healthy and feeding i would not worry about it to much, as BE said there weights can vary greatly, bit like us human folk really, no one is the same, your doing great with her, and she will be just fine...

Peanut is around the same age and length and only weighs 195g, but i know he will be fine...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:05:39  Show Profile
Wow, you were up early for that last post.
Yes she does seem healthy and is feeding ok. Like you said there is no `normal` weight/size out there for anything or anyone.
I will carry on the way I have and all should be good for years to come.

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
I've not weighed ssssssofia yet, i think she's going into shed so I don't want to stress her. she'll be 2 in may, i'll post her weight once she's shed

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  07:18:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin S

Wow, you were up early for that last post.
Yes she does seem healthy and is feeding ok. Like you said there is no `normal` weight/size out there for anything or anyone.
I will carry on the way I have and all should be good for years to come.

LOL. i have a trapped nerve in my shoulder that has plagued me since just after Christmas, it went away, i got a cold and the coughing triggered it again, so i am up when i am up..lol..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  18:21:26  Show Profile
I think I know what you mean. Just before Christmas I had a partially prolapsed disk and the nerve it was pushing against ran down my right leg. Not nice, so I can sympathize with you being up early.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:15:23  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Colin S

She is 8 months old and weighed in at 213g and between 19-20"in length.

Queenie is similar so don't worry

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  08:32:25  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Don't worry too much about weight. As long as it's holding steady or gaining it's all good. Weighed Sherman (16 and a bit months old) last night and he only came in at 507g. A light weight compared to some on here, but he's active and I have no cause for concern .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000