Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  18:16:06  Show Profile
Some of you may have seen this on RFUK but thought I would cross post here too.

I am concerned about my Royal not eating. I appreciate there are many posts on this issue and I have read them and acted on the advice given but no luck so far. I would appreciate reassurance if there is no problem or practical advice if you agree my concern is valid.

The Royal is a male CB07. Owned by me since October 08. He was eating mice no problem when I got him and I switched him to rats after a few weeks. He ate weekly until 12 December then refused on that date, thereafter:

19 Dec 1 rat pup

26 Dec Refused rat

2 Jan Refused mouse

10 Jan Refused mouse

25 Jan Struck but refused mouse

1 Feb Refused mouse

7 Feb Refused mouse

15 Feb Refused mouse (tried to assist feed as advised but spat out small mouse)

His weights are:

2 Dec 416g

26 Dec 432 g

26 Jan 413 g

14 Feb 383 g

I know some Royals stop eating in winter but now he is loosing weight and looks less bulky. Otherwise he is well and shed recently. No signs of lethargy or disease. His husbandry is fine, but today I have moved him to a RUB to see if a small enclosed living space may help incease his confidence. At times he seems almost petrified of the mice when I dangle them in front of him.

I have tried leaving food in his viv, leaving him all week undisturbed, geting him out daily for a week, taking him for a car ride to stimulate him, braining mice, warming mice, leaving him in a small box with the food item etc etc...all the usual tips but to no avail.

Would welcome any opinion...whats the next step? Or do I leave him and continue trying weekly feeds?

Thanks.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  18:37:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Get a chick or gerbil/hamster and try that,I know Daz had success with them.

Then you may have to try the live/fresh-killed route.

Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  18:42:13  Show Profile
yeah one of mine hadnt eaten in ages when i got her. tried her with day old chicks and took them straight away.

have a rat/mouse which ever you normally use defrosted aswell and if she takes the chick, as its legs are just disappearing in to the mouth put the rat/mouse head in between them and he should just carry on eating and take it aswell...

Edited by - dazb on 15/02/2009 18:42:44
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  18:46:08  Show Profile
when you say he is petrified, is he actually seeing them? i am only asking cos i have a kingsnake who has recently shed, and his eyes still have shed around them, and he knew something was there, but got real scared and i sussed out why it was....probably not this in your case, but worth mentioning cos you just never know...

other than that, these guys will help you

good luck and i hope you get your royal eating soon

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  18:48:15  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Good luck. Keep us posted .

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  19:00:41  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
temperature has had a big impact on Queenie the RP and Marilyn the Dum. the ambient temp has dropped so they're in cold vivs but sat on a heatmat. one solution was to put the central heating on more, not ideal but it did work until the OH complained. a ceramic for heating should work as it heats the air so raises the ambient temp whilst providing a hotter basking spot. what are you using Manc?
the temporary solution i've used for Marilyn (which has also worked) but i wouldn't recommend anyone inexperienced to do it is using a heatmat the whole surface area of the viv. Marilyn can cool down by going on top of her flat-topped stick hide so she can still thermoregulate.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  19:14:42  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. I may try a chick or gerbil in the week when he sttles down after todays attempt.

GP: he has an IR bulb- temps are a constant 31C so I don't think the temp is a major factor here.

The Corns are eating well and growing fast.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  21:43:24  Show Profile
Update:

Tried offering a chick but he was not interested so I just left him with it. After 20 minutes it was gone!!! Hurrah!

So ends the 9 week fast.

I shall try a chick followed by a mouse chaser next time.

Feel somewhat relieved he has eaten something at least.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:00:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Woohoo, do I win a prize?

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:05:01  Show Profile
Sure do, I shall post you the gerbil I bought with the chick

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:12:06  Show Profile
That is great news he took it, must be such a relief for you, maybe try him with the gerbil next....

Well done BE, your a star;-)

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:17:43  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Nice one .

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:18:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Just a matter of time Anne, I keep suggesting chicks on various websites, I had to get lucky sooner or later

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
looks like id better try a chick next then.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  06:39:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Just remember that owners are a lot more worried about not eating than snakes. As long as they're not losing significant weight its all natural.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  07:07:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Just a matter of time Anne, I keep suggesting chicks on various websites, I had to get lucky sooner or later

well it is good advice, how long would you do chicks for?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  10:19:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As short as possible when you see what comes out of the other end

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  10:20:31  Show Profile
is it bad then?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:25:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Just remember that owners are a lot more worried about not eating than snakes. As long as they're not losing significant weight its all natural.

It's quite funny! If one replaced "my snake" with "my baby", and "rat/rodent/mouse" with solids, and some further minor changes this discussion would fit in perfectly well in a parent and baby forum! There is something basically unsettling about nurtuiring somebody who doesn't eat what we serve them, and knowing that they are ok doesn't completely relieve that... Ie weight is ok, snake/baby is appeareing to be completely healthy. Just a thought!

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  19:34:25  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

is it bad then?

i think kaz had evra or nagini on chicks for a while, she's probably the best person to describe it

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  22:48:31  Show Profile
I defrosted a large mouse and thought I'd try Tibo with it, even though it was only 5 days since he had the chick. If he refused it I could give it to Jasper but miracles do happen...he ate it! Thats twice in a week now.

My new strategy is putting him in a small RUB with substrate, leaving the food in there, shutting the lid, covering with a towel and placing him in the viv under the lamp.

maybe he will get back to striking again one day but just pleased he is actually eating again. Lets see if i can get him back to rats. I shall save the gerbil for emergencies!

Edited by - Mancunian on 21/02/2009 22:49:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000