New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  15:05:31  Show Profile
I have had Grace for 3 weeks now and she has not shed yet.
I know the signs took for and at one point her eyes went blue, but after going back to normal nothing happened.
At the eye stage when returned to normal, is it best not to feed even if a feed is due ?
The temps seem to be ok going on what has been said on here and it seems quite humid.
To check the humidity I have just bought a ExoTerra stick on Hygeometer. Is there a best place to put this in the viv?
I have also bought some moss and will be placing this in a open top plastic container at the cold end. Would this be right ?
I seem to have the temps ok.
She is feeding.
Just need to get the shedding organized now.
If anyone could answer any of the above I would be very grateful.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  16:43:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have put moss in an old marg tub with a hole cut in the top in one of my vivs. With a lid on they feel more secure and so are more likely to use it.

The stick on hygrometers aren't amazingly accurate, but better than nothing, I'd just put it in the middle somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i use a cheapy dial hygrometer, i don't really trust its accuracy but it should show any drastic changes.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  22:40:42  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Blackecho

I have put moss in an old marg tub with a hole cut in the top in one of my vivs. With a lid on they feel more secure and so are more likely to use it.

Also do that, placing the tub in the middle. It's worked very well so far! He seems to get in there and shed, and then get back to one of the other hides.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  06:38:20  Show Profile
Hi Colin, I keep an old margarine tub as a moss box in my viv, Peanut has used it when he is in shed and also through this RI he has. These are the only times he uses it...

I should imagine as you have a young snake it wont be to long before you see her eyes change, probably in the next few weeks...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  17:28:33  Show Profile
Thanks Wolf, I will keep an eye out for the changes.
Was I correct about not feeding just before shedding looks like it is going to occur ?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  18:06:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You can offer food, some will eat, some won't.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  21:03:57  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
knowing Royals, it probably won't.......................

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  21:16:42  Show Profile
Now now GP you anti-royalist lol.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  21:18:09  Show Profile
I would say like BE, if she is due a feed you could try her or wait till she has shed..

Peanut had a feed just before the first time he shed with me but not this time..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  21:48:12  Show Profile
Fernando does not eat when he is coming up to a shed (he'll refuse, before his eyes cloud over etc). I think you just need to get to know your own snake about this.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  04:28:24  Show Profile
My spider royal is a pig. He'll eat everytime you put food close to him. Sometimes his eyes are so clouded over, he misses when he strikes, but he would still try to figure out where his food is. And then I have this pastel royal that is so finicky, just a little thing amiss and she refuses her food. She's on a fast again this time and I've about just stopped trying to figure out every single piece of detail that I might have missed that caused her to go on a diet. Husbandry is spot on, not shedding, offered her favorite meal, no go. So, hey, I just chalk it up to she's trying to watch her figure. Girls.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  17:16:33  Show Profile
Anatess, I think you are right :-) and there was me thinking it was only the human females who watched their weight. That is what must have gone wrong in my last relationship. I tried to feed her too much :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000