Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  22:54:42  Show Profile
im a bit of a beginner and i would like to know how u like to do things, iv heard different ways and im not sure which is the best. i will try and post some pics of alfie as soon as i can. thanks all

ADMIN MOVED TO GENERAL KEEPING INFORMATION

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  06:36:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Wayne, anything in particular you're after?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  09:55:06  Show Profile
Hi and welcome wayne, our way of doing what?

Go to Top of Page

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  20:24:37  Show Profile
feeding? the best way to thaw the food. iv been told several different ways. i had a royal just before xmas and 3 weeks later it died. the pet shop took a look and they took full responability for its death. they never told me what was wrong with the snake. she took her food fine but never passed it thru. this time i went to a reptile shop which had a good reputation. i will ad photos soon. thanks
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  20:41:27  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
there's no specific right way to defrost. the main things to consider is that the prey item is thoroughly defrosted and the scent isn't washed off.
i defrost mine in a dedicated plastic tub (not one the OH will use for his sandwiches!) either at room temperature or on a radiator, and give a final blast of heat by putting the tub over a (dedicated) mug of boiling water for a few minutes prior to feeding. how long the prey item takes to defrost depends on the size - smaller ones will defrost quicker than bigger ones.
this is just what i do and people on here do different things. one thing i think we all avoid is putting the prey item directly into hot water - it washes the scent off and if feeding in the viv substrate is more likely to stick to a wet mouse/rat (and possibly be ingested by the snake)

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  20:42:40  Show Profile
oh dear mate sorry to hear that...

to thaw my food i just stick it in a old takeaway tub on the raditor and leave it to thaw out. they should pass it ok aslong as your temps and set up are ok. royals dont poop very often, prob every 4-6 weeks ish.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  20:47:07  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
with feeding itself there's two basic options - feeding in the viv or feeding out of it.
generally i feed my snakes out of their vivs as some co-habit and need to be fed seperately and so they don't ingest any substrate. my royal and Dumerils i feed in their vivs as they're more strassy and won't feed outside. the Dum is on paper so there's no risk of ingesting substrate but the Royal is on orchid bark so he has to be carefully watched and any substrate stuck to the mouse removed with feeding tongs before he swallows it.
another reason to feed out of the viv if possible is so that your snake doesn't confuse your hand with food every time you reach into the viv - risking a tagging!

Go to Top of Page

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  16:20:00  Show Profile
thanks for the advice. i fed alfie this morning and he took it straight away :) how long shall i leave it before i pick him up?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ideally 48 hours to let him digest his meal

Go to Top of Page

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:04:51  Show Profile
thanks. ill just have to watch him
in my viv iv got bark, water bowl and a cave. im looking for a branch (one that looks good and suitable) is there anything else the snake would need. iv seen pics with fake leaves. should i put some in. also iv seen people put leds in their vivs. can this harm the snake... eg sight?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:06:09  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wayne

thanks. ill just have to watch him

the beauty of having multiple snakes and feeding on different days

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:10:00  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

in my viv iv got bark, water bowl and a cave. im looking for a branch (one that looks good and suitable) is there anything else the snake would need. iv seen pics with fake leaves. should i put some in. also iv seen people put leds in their vivs. can this harm the snake... eg sight?

if you're on the hunt for branches avoid pine, firs and cedar. fake leaves are fine, easily cleaned and provide more hiding places/security. LEDs are fine but avoid strip lighting as the flicker can upset snakes

Edited by - Gingerpony on 21/02/2009 17:10:19
Go to Top of Page

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:12:20  Show Profile
i really want more snakes but (again) im a beginner so dont want to jump the gun!!
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:14:35  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
very valid point

Go to Top of Page

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:24:13  Show Profile
wat is the most difficult thing about snakes?
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Finding room in your house and money to feed all the different types you want.

Go to Top of Page

wayne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:33:40  Show Profile
lol iv got a 4 x 2 x 2 tank.. looks nice in the living room. if i was gonna get another snake. what can i put in with my royal. or would it be best to get another tank?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  17:48:02  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
another viv would be the best idea, then you could go for another species or whatever takes your fancy

Go to Top of Page

redrobin.1905
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  23:07:12  Show Profile  Click to see redrobin.1905's MSN Messenger address
i have 3 royals in my viv unfortunately i have 2 males and a female this is fround apon i believe but all mine are healthy.

my female has not eaten for a few months now but i have seen mating with the larger of the males (as one has a stunted growth (they are brothers))

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  09:02:20  Show Profile
quote:

wat is the most difficult thing about snakes?

Having somebody who can look after them when you're away. Fortunately, our next door neighbours change water and remove pooh from the viv, when we're away for more than a few days, but I know lots of people who would NOT be prepared/able to do this!

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  11:52:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by redrobin.1905

i have 3 royals in my viv unfortunately i have 2 males and a female this is fround apon i believe but all mine are healthy.

my female has not eaten for a few months now but i have seen mating with the larger of the males (as one has a stunted growth (they are brothers))

it will be worse for you if one of them gets sick and then all three of them are ill, i wont do it cos i dont want anything to go wrong, which it could well do from being in together...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000