Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:43:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if its just coincidence, but I had an automatic Windows update on the night I lost that file!

I'm not 100% sure I haven't lost others, as I only know of this one as I use it so regularly.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  21:23:16  Show Profile
ok, this might help, i dont know, but is just a suggestion, as i have had windows updates totally screw my av up before now...

but if you know the update then you could uninstall it reboot and see what happens...updates can be downloaded again, but i dont do mine automatically anymore because of what one of them did to my computer

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  22:38:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I restored the system to before the update, but no joy, I think I'll give up and just learn to backup more often!

Thanks for everyone's attempts to help.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  07:39:18  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
If it's only an Excel file do you want to email it to me once a month so that you've got a back up?

I send my research write up to my parents once a month so that I've always got a copy on a totally different machine. Another trick is to email it to yourself so that there is always a copy on the server. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs .

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  07:49:12  Show Profile
BE, before you give up delete the latest windows update, you can re download it again after.

Go to your control Panel, then to add and remove programmes, it will give you a lit of current programmes, scroll down till you come to security updates and see what the last one was that was installed, more often than not it is the hotfixes that mess up computers, so check the dates on them and find the one that was installed that night , click on remove and then reboot, when i did this on the hotfix that did my pc in, everything returned to normal once it was gone..

then do another search on your computer and see if you can find your file.

it just might work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000