New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  08:49:00  Show Profile
The night before last Princess was very active when she woke up and had a good old roam around her viv. Last night she was the same and with it being twelve days since she'd eaten in the shop I thought she might be hungry and offered her a mouse.

Having warmed the defrosted mouse I picked it up with a pair of forceps and jiggled it in front of her. Now I've seen venomous snakes strike on TV so I know they're fast, and I know in theory how a constrictor kills but I'd never seen it and assumed that she'd bite the mouse and coil it at a fairly leisurely pace being as how she never seems to move very quickly. You people with experience will know what came next, but it made me jump!

She had a bit of a sniff but otherwise was completely motionless for a few seconds and I didn't think she was interested. Then BAM! It was awesome, and I mean that in the real sense not in the way Americans use it to describe new trainers. Literally in the blink of an eye she grabbed it by the head, threw a coil round it and constricted. I'm not even sure I saw it properly it was that fast! She gave it a good hug for a couple of minutes and then calmly positioned it where she wanted it and started to eat. That was amazing to watch too, I wish I could have gotten some photos but it was too dark and I didn't want to risk disturbing her by using flash.

Sorry for the long post, I know for most of you guys this is something you see a lot, but I was so impressed!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  12:58:41  Show Profile
We got Fernando 9 months ago, and he has been strike feeding up until the past few weeks. And I don't think I'll ever stop finding it exciting! As you said, it's the only time EVER that he actually moves fast. The last few times when we have fed him he hasn't struck, but we have ended up leaving the rat in the rub with him and has then eaten it with the rub covered by a dark towel, which just isn't the same (but at least he is eating)!

Enjoy!

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  16:54:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
To be honest it still makes me jump now and again,they seem to trick you into thinking that they are not interested then you take your eye off them while yor dangling your hand there and then they strike.sneaky little buggers

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:03:27  Show Profile
There's certainly no way I'll be trying holding the mouse in my hand! We're hoping that she'll continue to strike feed, but as long as she's eating it's all good.

Now we're just waiting for her first poo, but I don't think I'll feel moved to post about that.

0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:16:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Chris, always exciting when they strike

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  10:12:48  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
I still get a buzz when my two strike, last night when I fed Nelson, before I had even got the lid off his tub, he was out ready to strike, and as soon as he saw the rat he struck! It didn't matter to him that he ended up in the air by the time he'd coiled round it. I really should have taken a pic as it was quite funny to see, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  19:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
glad she's eaten for you, sounds like a good strike! they can be fast but sometimes they miss too!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  09:38:17  Show Profile
She fed again last night, another good strike and a squeal from my GF who was holding the mouse!

0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000