New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  13:17:43  Show Profile
My royal is coming on 3/4 months old now and I have been struggling with handling issues. What I mean by that is that I want my royal to have as natural a life as possible which in my opinion requires as little handling as possible. On the other hand I want to be able to take him out and handle him. This has resulted in sporadic handling. He has twice attempted to bite me, the first occasion was when I was moving his leaves around so as to provide more cover for him; he was wiggling the tip of his tail (I wasn't moving the leaves near him, he was in his favorite place under a log at the other end of the viv), then as I was standing in front of the viv watching him, he struck at me only stopping when he hit the glass. The second time was when I was cleaning the water out of his pond (I have built in a small water enclosure which i fill on the odd occasion so that he can swim/bathe), he was curled up with his body in that S position, and he struck (scaring the living crap out of me), but missed. When I handle him, I am very gentle and deliberate - No fast movement, and he is good as gold. I feed him in a separate enclosure (Small plastic tub) and I am always extremely careful not to alarm him, whenever I am near him. Anyone know why he will try to bite me seemingly at random?

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:08:48  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Probably just being viv defensive,try putting a item of your clothing in so he gets used to your scent and keep the handling going and he will soon stop.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:40:47  Show Profile
That clothing tip is a bloody good idea! Cheers. Also, is it normal for them to vibrate? Mine was going like a mobile phone just before he struck at me. It wasn't visible but when i touched him it was very strong.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  16:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I've not known it in royals much, but corns do it all the time

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:21:55  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by osouthlondon

is it normal for them to vibrate?

do you use a heatmat?

if so, that's your answer (and reason why!)

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  08:23:01  Show Profile
Yes i do use a heat mat, but I still don't see the connection (Forgive me if I am being incredibly stupid!!)
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:33:41  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
My king who is still a bit nervous sometimes vibrates like that,i too dont know the connection.Feels very strange,

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:20:56  Show Profile
I've only felt it once, but was just wondering if it is something to do with feeling threatened or aggressive, obviously if it's just a nervous reaction then I will have to take note and react accordingly, however if he is doing it to keep warm then I need to up the heatpad temp as I keep it low for fear of burning him (Not ridiculously low but then I've heard that even the stat sensor can be way off). Every reason has a reaction that should be attached hence my questioning.
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  07:45:56  Show Profile
You should have a thermometer probe on the heat mat as well as the stat so you can monitor the temps of it.
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  13:05:10  Show Profile
Another question I have is: Is it normal for my Royal to hide for days at a time. He is very VERY active immediately after a feed but then he hides for about 3 days solid. I spent most of my nights awake until maybe 1 or 2 in the morning and very rarely see him. Does he wait until I go to bed or is he just not very active?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  16:24:31  Show Profile
Its very normal for royals to stay hidden for days in a row.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000