fogger info
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  13:41:21  Show Profile
im thinking of getting a exo terra mini fogger for my royals viv as i am struggling to keep a constant humidity, its either to high or to low. i cant seem to keep it above 30% atm so i think a fogger may help. i saw a topic on the rainbow boa forum where someone brought one and it really helped them but he had a timer so it went off at certain times. so anyone know how ofter a fogger goes off without a timer? if anyone knows how to attach a timer for a fogger or if you know a website with built on timers please let me know.

alturnativly if anyone knows how i can keep a constant humidity without a fogger please say so. before you ask i do have 2 small tubs with damp moss. the viv temps are fine and hes feeding great its just the humidity i cant seem to master.

cheers guys

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  13:45:11  Show Profile
might be the wrong answer since im not an expert AT ALL and i dont know what your viv looks like, but with my tarantulas (the ones who needed a very high humidity that is) i was told to cover up air holes/vents with cling-film not all of it, about 80% was enough to give quite a high humidity so if your viv is the sort that you could try that on, with a bit of experimenting it could work??
Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  13:56:03  Show Profile
i cant load a pic but i can discribe it. its 24" by 12". all glass. mesh top. 2 vents 1 on each side. hes got 1 bark hide at the hot end and an exo terra cave at the cooler end. water bowl in the middle. plant stuck on the back screen for climbing. 2 small tubs of moss 1 either side of the cave.

and too MissCat thanks for the tip i will try that out.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  13:57:02  Show Profile
Hi, what are you using to measure the humidity?

If your royal is eating and shedding ok then i think that is a sign your ok, dont know if this helps, but as my royal is on ceramic heat, i keepmy moss box in between the hot and cold end to dreate humidity, plus if he needs moisture he goes in there and has never had a problem...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:04:33  Show Profile
im using a stick on exo terra dial that come with the viv. but currently my moss boxes have no lid so it maybe that the moss is drying out to fast. in that case i may look around for a more suitable container with a lid.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:13:04  Show Profile
margerine tub ^_^
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:16:07  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think a fogger is good for something that requires really high humidity like a rainbow boa, but a royal doesn't need the humidity to be that high. Only about 50 is needed, so I would recommend spraying the tank with water from a spray bottle regulary if the humidity drops to 30, rather than spending loads on something you might rarely need.

Plus placing the water bowl near the heat source can help raise the humidity too.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:17:33  Show Profile
was just about to say that Cat ..i have one that i cut a hole in the side removing any sharp edges, and i just moisten it every couple of days for him if it drys out and he is fine with it, never had a problem...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:20:50  Show Profile
right ok i will start using a tub. the question i have for kaz is that if i put the water bowl near the heat source, will the snake still drink even if the water is warmer?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:21:35  Show Profile
put the moss box nearer and keep it moist it will do the same thing.. and spray it as Kaz suggested...

my humidity is rarely above 50% but i have one of those dial thingies, so i know it is not that accurate, but he has the choice of the moss box and the water bowl if he needs moisture

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 11/03/2009 14:23:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000