Shedding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  14:56:18  Show Profile
well, my snakes eyes went blue and thn clear and he skin changed colour, went lighter, and thn he started to shead and he got it all off his head but thn only off the top part of his neck, and he started th on thursday night but its jsut the same now, he doesnt seem to want to shed it off? what should i do? he also hasnt eaten for 2 weeks now, but thts is probs coz of the shed.

Ben

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  16:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
You need to help him get it off. Best way to do it is to give him a bath in warm water. Let him soak for a good while, then rub him gently with a towel.

Hopefully that will work, but keep us posted if he's still struggling afterwards.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  16:41:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
By warm I wouldn't go above the temperature of the hot end of the viv, so about 32C.

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  17:08:54  Show Profile
ok i put him, in but thn he got really scared and was trying to get out, whn he started to move but before tht he sat there for about 3mins, and now he wont move in the towel, shud i try to pull it off in little bits, or put him bak in the water for longer?
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  17:09:51  Show Profile
Its also not just little bits of skin its like 90% of he body?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  18:23:18  Show Profile
does he have a moist hide in his viv...ie. a tub or hide with spagnum moss in or wet strips of newspaper. this helps with shedding. also do you have some form of roughage(???) that he can rub against and slide over to shed???

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  18:38:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Just give him a gentle rub with the towel, don't pull the skin, you can damage the scales underneath. If no joy try again tomorrow.

As Daz says, has he got a moist hide?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  20:42:54  Show Profile
You could put him in a damp pilow case for an hour with the top tied.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000