New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  21:11:48  Show Profile
Do any of you use water treatments for snakes drinking water or do you give straight from the tap?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  21:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Tap water stood for 48 hours for me.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  21:55:54  Show Profile
same as above except i let it stand for 24hrs
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  22:06:50  Show Profile
Thanks BE, does that just get rid of the chlorine? what about the treatments they put in it?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  22:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
what about bottled mineral water???

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  05:14:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, just allows the chlorine to dissipate. We've done surveys on here and TCS before and almost everyone uses tap water.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  06:51:34  Show Profile
ok thanks BE-)

IS mineral water better?

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 23/03/2009 06:52:08
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  21:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
Not too sure just started using it myself, I thought the more natural the better???

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  21:27:01  Show Profile
i also heard somewhere that distilled water may be better?? i "heard" (you know, on the know-it-all-grapevine, LOL) that tap water has the cholrine etc that we know of, but mineral/bottled water can cause a build up of minerals that's bad for reps too??? idk, i'm clueless, but would love to hear of any actuall facts on this :)
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  09:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
good point MissCat, it could potentially be a problem AND it's so blibking expensive!!!
both good reasons to stick to tap water me thinks

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  10:23:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Don't use Distilled Water. As Distilled Water has had all the salts and minerals removed it reabsorbs them from the body over a period of time making it dangerous to health.

I hope that makes sense, will see if I can find something a bit better from Google.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  10:28:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
'Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapour condensed. Distilled water is free of dissolved minerals and, because of this, has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them. Studies validate the benefits of drinking distilled water when one is seeking to cleanse or detoxify the system for short periods of time (a few weeks at a time).

Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value.

Distilled water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic. The more distilled water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Distilled water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water."

The most toxic commercial beverages that people consume (i.e. cola beverages and other soft drinks) are made from distilled water. Studies have consistently shown that heavy consumers of soft drinks (with or without sugar) spill huge amounts of calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals into the urine.

The more mineral loss, the greater the risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and a long list of degenerative diseases generally associated with premature aging.'

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  13:31:57  Show Profile
o wow, thats a bit scary...
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  13:42:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have had to warn people at work before and they're Chemists so should know better!

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:02:21  Show Profile
it is something I never really thought of. I feel a bit stupid now as I have just been giving Grace tap water without letting it stand.
I will do so in future.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:10:49  Show Profile
i dont tend to let mine stand...straight out of the tap so its nice and fresh...

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:45:05  Show Profile
not all areas use chlorine do they?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:46:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Colin S

it is something I never really thought of. I feel a bit stupid now as I have just been giving Grace tap water without letting it stand.
I will do so in future.

I was talking about Distilled Water, not tap water.

I only allow my tap water to stand to allow the Chlorine to dissipate, but others don't bother.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000