New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:10:16  Show Profile
hi i've had my snake for a month now and never noticed this before but recently i have seen some mites under his scales on his head there isnt many so i thought i'd wait and see if he loses them when he sheds but now i've seen a couple on the walking on him. there isn't many and i havent seen any in the rest of the viv. Any ideas welcome...

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:22:38  Show Profile
from wot i understand its time for you to disenfect everything ASAP...sorry.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:35:51  Show Profile
Thats not good, you need to get rid of them asap...

have you got a spare rub?

you need to thoroughly clean out his viv, disinfect everything, i would bake anything that is wood, or freeze it, clean the viv if you can with ardap or F10.

I have heard of using olive oil on a snake to drown the mites on him, but as so far touch wood i have never had mites i dont know, but i know using oil drowns nits it suffocates them so i presume it would do the same with mites, i have also heard you can use frontline, though i dont know the dosage, and this stuff is toxic so be careful with it if you use it.

I also got told once in my rep shop that you can use F10 but not sure how, i think if i used F10 i would put it in water and let the snake soak in it, but it would not need much F10, and it is non toxic.

You will also need to keep the snake on either newspaper or kitchen roll for a while..

I also dug this out for you to read, its on the dark side, but might give you some help,

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/32336-mite-treatments.html

GP will be here later and others who i ams ure will advise you better than i have..

good luck

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:38:28  Show Profile
I just checked and F10 does not kill mites so that rules that one out...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:20:58  Show Profile
I think I'll be hoovering out the substrate and putting down newspaper, i think i'll buy some mite off and treat him with that. I know exactly where they are- under his scales on the underside of his head. I dont have a spare viv but i will pick up a cheap plastic animal tub to keep him in whilst i'm cleaning the viv.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:45:34  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
mite off or frontline, i'd personally go for the frontline spray but only because i work at a vets and it's a familiar product.

completely empty the viv and spray with your chosen treatment. any substrate should be disposed of, any wooden items baked for at least an hour at 100*C+, any plastic items soaked in 10% bleach solution for an hour or ideally overnight.

Treat the snake by spraying the product on a cloth and gently wiping all over the snake paying particular attention to the folds of skin under the chin/throat area but avoiding around the eyes, mouth and nostrils.

Replace the snake, ideally into a RUB with paper/kitchen roll as substrate (easily disposed of and easy to spot the little critters) with no decor other than the bare essentials - water bowl and 2 hides, all ideally plastic and easily disinfected again. If the snake is being returned to it's original viv make sure all the fumes from the product have cleared. Spot-check the viv daily and replace/disinfect bowls/hides/substrate as necessary.

Quarantine/barrier nursing will help prevent them spreading to any other snakes you might have.
Re-infestation is likely in around 3 weeks when the next lot of eggs hatch so keep an eye out for 'new arrivals' and if you see any repeat the above. Quick second treatment wipes out the mites before they're old enough to lay another batch of egge to reinfest your snake again!

Frontline should be applied at at a minimum of (ie. longer than) 2 week intervals. i'm not sure about Mite Off though so best read the label!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  06:27:44  Show Profile
They still don't have Provent-A-Mite in the UK?
I tell ya, that stuff REALLY works!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  12:02:24  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
I know how you're feeling, mites are so annoying.
Right, firstly mite-off is rubbish. 3 weeks, no improvement.
What did work for me though:-
As people have said, throw all substrate away and boil all decor that is inside your setup. Disinfect everything.
I was advised to bathe montiiee in about an inch of water (roughly 32c) with a small squeeze of fairy washing up liquid in. (must be fairy original) not cheap brand or fancy perfumed fairy for about an hour.
That will suffocate all mites that may be on your royal.
Then spray with beaphar insect spray (follow instructions with product).
Then set up in a smaller tub or faunarium with newspaper or kitchen roll as a substrate.
Then completely bleach or disinfect your vivarium and spray that with beaphar insect spray.
I was advised to disinfect and spray the viv weekly for at least 4 weeks to make sure no mites remain in viv.
I am currently up to 3 and a half weeks, not a single mite spotted in that time. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  17:43:42  Show Profile
thanks Glenn i wont be buying mite off then I'll buy some of that beaphar. It is pretty expensive though how long does it last and where's best to get it from?

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  18:20:15  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ddm10

thanks Glenn i wont be buying mite off then I'll buy some of that beaphar. It is pretty expensive though how long does it last and where's best to get it from?

I bought mine from a reptile shop in blendon, it cost 12.99 a bottle and won't last long spraying the viv with it. obviously would last longer with just spraying your snake but it's worth it to get rid of the mites.

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  18:28:47  Show Profile
cheers, just got some of ebay for 7.99 might get another when it runs out, i've got bleach and beaclean at the ready for the viv and have bought a small platic tup to put him in. no point in doing anything until the treatment gets here but then it's atalavista baby terminator style

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 26/03/2009 18:29:10
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  20:33:50  Show Profile
you could actually start as he wont be in his viv till you have aired it properly after spraying it and boiling all his stuff, mites are nasty and if you can get him some relief from them as soon as possible then it will help him..is the rub you brought secure and do you have a heat mat?

I have heard of using fairy on another forum, but be careful putting anything on his skin...and maybe as Gp said on a towel and not directly on him, he wont like if you do spray him, it will stress him out probably big time.

dont forget to bake any wood or cork in the oven as per GPs recommendations.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  17:02:57  Show Profile
The plastic tub is secure, i dont have a heatmat for it but my reptile radiator warms the top of the viv enough to heat through the tub, it basically acts as a heat mat. Im going to use cotton wool balls to apply any treatment.
For the viv will a bleach solution kill the mites?

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  18:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ddm10

The plastic tub is secure, i dont have a heatmat for it but my reptile radiator warms the top of the viv enough to heat through the tub, it basically acts as a heat mat. Im going to use cotton wool balls to apply any treatment.
For the viv will a bleach solution kill the mites?

I was told to bleach the viv then spray with the insect spray when it has dried. Making sure i sprayed in the corners,edges and any other nooks and cranny's.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  19:20:18  Show Profile
does anyone know if Neem oil works on mites?

I know it kills nits from past experience and it also stops them reproducing, so just asking really...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  21:09:36  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

I have heard of using fairy..

using a splash of washing up liquid breaks down the surface tension of the water so there shouldn't be any air pockets under the snake's scales where the mites can survive a bath.

never heard of Neem oil.................. toddler hasn't come home from nursery with nits........ yet!!!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  21:36:21  Show Profile
Gp, stock up on Neem Oil shampoo...its the only thing i found non chemical that was truly effective for kids hair,, all the other stuff was ok, but with neem oil they never came back...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  16:49:38  Show Profile
on Saturday i put Drazen in the second tub and cleaned the viv. I hoovered the substrate and took everything out, used hot water and bleach and sponged every inch of the viv. I soaked the hides in water and bleach for a couple of hours and washed the plants and put them in the freezer. I baked the wood in the oven. after a few hours after everything wash rinsed i put it all back in apart from the substrate-the viv is too big to leave it bare he would have been too stressed. I gave him a bath with a drop of fairy-he didnt like it! but after a couple of dips i couldnt see any on him or under his scales so i let hem slither through a towel to dry him off and put him back in the viv. Today the treatment came-beaphar insect spray. I want to try and feed him today so i wont be using it for a couple of days but i just wanted as many tips as i could get from people who are familiar with the treatment.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000