moss when shedding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  20:16:32  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
when my royal goes into her next shed ive read and will adopt the moist moss hide method, but is that only needed when she is shedding or can you have a moist hide with the moss in it all year round?

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  20:27:11  Show Profile
You can have it all year round if you wish. I only choose to use one when in shed, but I mist 1-2 a week.

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  20:32:06  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
she has 2 hides, one warm side and one cold side, in the cool side i got her a rock formation thingy which she absolutely loves so thinking maybe ill use that hide and just use the moist moss when her eyes turn cloudy

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  21:18:57  Show Profile
Hi Dazza, i keep a moss box in my viv all the time, this gives Peanut the choice if he wants damp then he gets it..

love the photo by the way

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:40:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have one in permanently in my Royal vivs.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  08:46:15  Show Profile
I dont use one at all...

I have large water bowls which keep the humidity around 50-60% then when they go into shed i move the water bowl nearer the heatsource to increase the humidity some more to aid shedding...

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  08:47:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
How long can you use spag moss for before you need to change it,can you keep re-wetting it.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:38:54  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
lol i was gonna ask that but lee beat me too it

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  10:29:22  Show Profile
i change my moss around every three to four weeks. I keep it moist so yes wet when neccessary, but i also put a little drop of F10 in the water i use for wetting the moss, spray it underneath and hope the F10 keeps any bacteria away...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  15:54:48  Show Profile
I use sphagnum moss for my orchid collection. I don't use it in the snake's viv all the time - just when I need to raise humidity.

Sphagnum moss is almost a "must have" for orchid growers, so I've gotten very familiar with it.

Okay, there are different kinds of sphagnum moss - there's the sphagnum peat moss (dead moss harvested from the bottom of the sphagnum bog used as a soil additive for better aeration) and there's sphagnum moss which is used to line orchid pots. Sphagnum moss can come Live or Dried.

Sphagnum peat moss is a fungus inhibitor, so you can use this as a substrate if you need higher humidity level than what your regular room humidity is. You clean this out just like you would aspen and such. It is a bit messier than aspen though. Probably even messier than cypress.

You probably don't want to use live sphagnum in the viv because it will just die anyway from the heat - sphagnum likes temperatures under 75F. So, that leaves us with the dry sphagnum.

Dried sphagnum still retains its fungus inhibiting properties. There are cases where packaged moss is contaminated by fungi and it overpowers the moss. This is rare though. Dried sphagnum moss can come in different qualities. Sphagnum from New Zealand, Canada, or Australia have longer strands and are usually thicker. These can last 18 months of getting re-wetted without breaking down. Sphagnum from China or Taiwan have shorter, thinner strands and breaks down much faster - about 6 months. The thinner sphagnum are much cheaper compared to the thick sphagnum. Since I re-pot the orchids every 6 months, I just go with the cheaper version and that's what I use for the snake's viv as well.

Now, I have to say that I clean out the snake's viv once a month, so, at that time, I just go ahead and toss the moss out with the substrate as well.

Hope this helps.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 03/04/2009 15:57:30
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  16:18:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=710

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  14:51:30  Show Profile
where can you get it from? My local garden centre doesn't sell it

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  15:16:14  Show Profile
rep shops sell it but its not cheap...

strange your garden centre doesnt have it. try homebase or similar.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  17:34:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Most big garden centres have it as people use it for hanging baskets.

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  18:51:52  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
so when i buy the moss, after wetting it, do i just lay it flat for her to lie on top off, or do i make like a hole in the moss for her to bury herself in it? lol silly question i know but wanna get it right for her

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  18:57:54  Show Profile
i just lay it flat for my leos... i would have thought that they would have laid on top of it the same...

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  19:11:04  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
cheers daz, like i said sounds a silly question but in the wild they live in burrows and the like so wasnt 100% sure wether to lay it flat or have it in a small heap so they could burrow

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  19:34:19  Show Profile
some people use vermiculite(sp)instead of spagnum moss and that is laid flat. as i said i dont really use it for my snakes...

Edited by - dazb on 06/04/2009 19:34:45
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  00:02:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

i change my moss around every three to four weeks. I keep it moist so yes wet when neccessary, but i also put a little drop of F10 in the water i use for wetting the moss, spray it underneath and hope the F10 keeps any bacteria away...

is this the gear your on about,and i take it its ok for cleaning the viv too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-F10-Disinfectant-100ml-pet-parrot-bird-incububator_W0QQitemZ200328093062QQihZ010QQcategoryZ301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  06:47:05  Show Profile
yes that is the one Lee...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic