question or two about heating...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  12:43:59  Show Profile
When testing out the ceramic bulb yesterday (before the bulb holder broke again and i had to revert tempoarily back to the mat til i can replace it) i noticed that the floor was reaching the right temp, however the cage surrounding the bulb gets really hot! not so hot that i get burned with my hand on it, but hot enough for me to be concerned about Ra, he wouldn't be able to get up to it easily, but if he was determined i am sure he could reach it, especially when he grows some more.
will it burn him? should i stay with the heat mat? i wont remove the guard as it at least means he cant coil around the bulb, at worst he'd burn his nose, but that thought is enough to make me wonder if a mat is better? any opinions would be apreciated on that one.

secondly:
i am planning on running the mat for the new crb off the same stat as Ra, is this advisable? or should i just get another stat? as i was wondering, you only get one probe with the stats, how can you guarantee that it will heat the vivs the same? there are different factors, like different types of viv/substrate etc so the viv with the probe may be fine, but the one without the probe may not be..... how do others do it? i will probably get another stat anyway so it's less complicated while the crb is so young and on a mat in a faunarium, but when he gets big enough to be moved to a proper viv with ceramic heating, I would like to know the best way to run it off the same stat....
i'm not the cleverest of people tbh, so imagine you're explaining it to a child and i should understand LOL

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  12:57:38  Show Profile
my guards get fairly warm too. They will get hotter on intial set up cos the ceramic is working harder to get the viv up to temp. Once the temp is reached the ceramic will not be working as hard so the guard should cool down.
IMO the guards are there to stop the snake wrapping round the heat source and staying there.

As for running to mats of one stat...its really advised that they are identicle set ups.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  13:10:14  Show Profile
okay so i will be getting another stat, cheers :)
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  13:23:27  Show Profile
no probs...

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:09:55  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i run 2 corn set-ups off the same stat with no problems but like dazb said, they have to be pretty much identical set ups.
any idea when the CRB's coming?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  09:15:20  Show Profile
well new stat being sent on monday so when that arrives and i've set everything up i can arrange it with Julia, so probably end of next week/begining of the week after next. :)
*does snoopy dance*
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  09:45:45  Show Profile
Is that for the rainbow boa Cat?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:35:35  Show Profile
it is indeedy :)
i think i am going to call him Helo (as in Karl "Helo" Agathon from battlestar galactica) looking at getting another royal (either a normal or pastel) in a couple of months time, which i will call Starbuck (works if its male or female u see ^_^ lol. such a geek.)

Edited by - MissCat on 09/04/2009 15:24:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000