Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  14:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So when the pet shop to get the rats

And I asked for rat weaner and all they had was large ones so took couple of them so when I it one I weighed it at it was 132g so after that I weighed monty and he 763g and going by the 10% to 15% it's was short by 15g do you think he will be ok to feed him it

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  15:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes if its only a little bit smaller it will be fine

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  16:01:45  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a 132g rat weaner is bigger than 15% of your royals weight. 15% of his weight would be 114.5g.
i would look at the size of the rat and the size of your royal and see if it will fit. if the rat is more than 1 and a half times your royal then i would leave it and try and get smaller ones

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am interested in Reptiledanny saying that the rat can be 1.5 times bigger than the royal as I thought I had read on here that is should NOT be bigger than the widest part of the snake and the 1.5 rule applied the the like of corns and rat snakes. Could someone clarify this for me?
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  18:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Best if you think of them as guidelines not rules :-) you'd be surprised how big a meal a royal can handle.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  19:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It also helps if your local shop Has the right sizes.Not large weaners the size of rabbits.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  19:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my local not very good but there's not many in Liverpool and with only having 2 snakes dont see the point in buy in bulk
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  21:56:55  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dixon

I am interested in Reptiledanny saying that the rat can be 1.5 times bigger than the royal as I thought I had read on here that is should NOT be bigger than the widest part of the snake and the 1.5 rule applied the the like of corns and rat snakes. Could someone clarify this for me?

1.5 times the snake is the largest i would feed. thats all. and with the weight being quite a bit bigger that the 15%, i now that my 900g male couldnt eat my females 150+ grams small rats as they are over 1.5 times his girth. i generally do go for the same size girth, but i doubt snakes in the wild will sit there and think no its bigger than my girth, not guna happen.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  22:12:43  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See this is the problem with any petshop or frozen food supplier. Their size in food differs so much. A rat weaner from one shop looks like a small rat from another. Why cant they ALL work to one standard size? Yip the 1.5 x girth and 10-15% weight is just guidelines.

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  23:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CoN

See this is the problem with any petshop or frozen food supplier. Their size in food differs so much. A rat weaner from one shop looks like a small rat from another. Why cant they ALL work to one standard size? Yip the 1.5 x girth and 10-15% weight is just guidelines.

Well my local shop throws each size of rat into one bag.So you have a bag of rat pups,small,med,large,weaners etc.All thrown in the same bag.

Their tight and only buy in like 20 of each thing each week.They never have anything left after afew days.Id love to know the amount of customers they lose each week.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2012 :  05:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had our snakes for quite a while that my kids can just "eyeball" the rats. We have different sized snakes and the kids pull the rats from the rat condo (we raise our own rats) for each snake in a pretty quick fashion. They go by the size of the rat. Sometimes, we run out of a specific size they want, so we go to the reptile store. They don't go by what the store declares as their size. They go open bin after bin of different sized rats until they find the one they want. The shop declared sizes vary week after week!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2012 :  14:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I order my rats by weight, I send a txt saying 12 x 130g, 12 x 100g 24 x 60 and he tries to oblige as much as poss, yes, he gets a set of scales and checks they are around the size I want.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  09:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had this problem last week. my local shop had gone from breedig his own prey items for sale to buying them in again and its messed my sizes right up. had to do some guestimation but thankfully got them all about right, bar the one royal who got something a bit bigger than usual. she nailed it down tho. think she was eager because she haddent fed in a couple of weeks for some reason.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  09:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol I've stopped weighing my rats now I just order approximate sizes. To be commpletely honest it doesn't matter if a throw a 100g rat in the bin after it's been refused or a 500g rat xD

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000