Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain_Cuddles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  23:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
We've had CC for about 5 weeks or so now we've done all the things that you lovely people suggested to keep CC happy.
Just thought I'd bother you again to ask how often are Royal/Ball pythons meant to shed? The shop we acquired CC from doesn't seem to have a ruddy clue and the books we've read aren't very clear. CC is about 1 1/2 - 2 feet in length. About 1 inch at the thickest point.
We were told that CC was a 2011 hatchling, but we don't know about which part of 2011.
CC eats 1 small mouse a week, is that sufficient?

Holly.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  23:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clarity is not the most clear thing when it comes to shedding. The rubbish truth is they shed when they need to. When they are little, they shed more often than if they are adults. There are other reasons that can increase the frequency they shed such as previous bad sheds, injury including bruising (that you wont see).

I gave up trying to predict sheds as there is no real pattern to it, I would say once every 1-3 months is a safe bet but dont worry about preparing, they give you plenty of clues its coming.

What does CC weigh? The food to weight ratio of 10-15% is the best way to judge food size. Though the rat shouldnt be wider than the snakes body, and as they get older and bigger you reduce the amount you feed them according to weight.

IE

1-500 grams = feed every 5 days
500-1000 grams = feed every 7 days
1000-1500 grams = feed every 10 days
1500+ grams = every fortnight.

Edited by - Lotabob on 03/08/2012 23:45:13
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  23:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just on the subject of feeding, i just feed my dudes weaner rats, the next one up from that for me is large rats, which would be too big I think. But the weaner rats look like nothing for my boys. Spose Its just my luck that my local pet store dont have many variations in size

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  00:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey, weaner to large rats is a massive jump.

I know its a fair trek but if you can take a trip to Belfast, you have the choice of City Reptiles and Reptile. Reptile are a bit cheaper and if you stock up a few months worth it may be worth the trip. Though going to Reptile is risky, they always have loads of lovley things to look at and accidentally buy lol.

Go to Top of Page

Captain_Cuddles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  09:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Lotalob. CC keeps sitting in the water bowl, is that a clue for shedding?
CC weighs 225g. So, we should be feeding every 5 days instead of every 7 (which the shop said to do)
We buy our mice and other snake stuff online at www.888reptiles.co.uk they are good.
Go to Top of Page

Captain_Cuddles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  13:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Called a different pet shop, they said to feed CC rat pups so we went down to my local pet store and they sold Weaner Rats but they looked a little big for CC, so we bought 2 large mice instead to try CC on. Will tell you how it goes afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  17:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weigh the food, if its betwwen 10-15% of CC's weight (so 22 to 33 Grams) then thats the right amount of food. As CC is under 500 Grams you can feed with a frequeency of 5 days but its entirely up to you, I have only ever gone as close as weekly for all my snakes, it makes it easier for me to have a set feeding day and wont do any harm to them having an extra few days between feeds. A small weaner rat (by my understanding they are about 30-45 grams) should be fine providing that it is not bigger than the fattest point of your snake, the heavier weaners are a bit over the 10-15% guide but I always tend to go by eye rather than weight.

I've not heard anything bad about 888 which is usually a good sign, I like their website, very colourful. For snakey equipment I would use surreypetsupplies or just my local shop for food as its quite reasonable and I get to have a look at what I'm buying first. I think the best thing to do is have a shop around, I also like to make my own stuff, its nice when you see your snakes enjoying something you have made for them and they are unique and far cheaper than bought.

Go to Top of Page

Captain_Cuddles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  19:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weaner rats were too big, fed CC large mouse and loved it! Here are a couple of pics:

CC was lazing on the big branch and it was funny watching CC try to eat the mouse!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  20:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant that he eats all in the open like that, its a royal treat, my fella wont eat if I'm anywhere near lol. Looks a nice sized meal too. CC looks like a nice healthy looking snake and your setup looks ideal too.

Go to Top of Page

Captain_Cuddles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After weighing CC last saturday and was 225g, CC has put on a little more weight now at 250g!
We tried feeding every 5 days but didn't seem too hungry, think might be shedding as the eyes have slightly clouded over. Wasted a perfectly good mouse. So we're feeding just every 7 for now until CC gets bigger.
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2012 :  17:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure CC is too small for weeners? Alesia is around the same weight 290g and she is on weeners - which incidentally look to be similar in size to that mouse above. Did CC point blank refuse a weener?

I've heard that it can be difficult to get them from mice to rats again you see.

Go to Top of Page

Captain_Cuddles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  02:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are too big for him.
Haven't tried him on them yet, will do though when he gets a bit bigger.
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  08:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe try weeners from a different source. I don't think they are too big for him based on his current weight.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000