Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  14:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.......I think i'm almost ready to make a purchase, I believe that I now know enough to enable me to give a royal a good home with my other pets but the last thing i'm stuck on is the housing.

From what I can gather and what i've been told its pointless getting a viv yet - now warrington exotics do a faunarium starter for £50, i didnt ask if that includes thermostat but i find it highly unlikely at that price.

My main problem is faunariums look not so great and also are terrible for maintaining humidity.

So, do I get a RUB? or how about this from 888? http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=7160&ProductGroupID=2966

Any ideas as to what is the best setup (hopefully buy as a starter kit) and then eventually move it up to a terrarium.

Thanks.

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  14:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fauns are alright for young royals but as you said dont keep the humidity too well, but may only cause an issue when shedding but not always. ive not acctually used one myself though so someone else can advise you on them.
a 9 or 12ltr RUB(really uesfull box) with a heatmat underneath will be fine an cheaper than spending £90 on something you may not have a use for in a few months although its the prefect excuse for another royal

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  15:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my starter kit from there aswell a monty and you don't get thermostat with but I think there only 20quid in surry pet supplies
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  20:17:58  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't get a rub or faun and just went straight for a 3 foot viv and just put plenty fake plants hides and a big bit of bamboo root and a fake vine to make the viv look busy so he feels secure and my snake is happy :-)

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  20:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are sure you want just one royal I wouldn't go for a faunarium. It's wasting money and time. I made that mistake and I wouldn't do it anymore. Buy a nice viv and if you are too scared about its size you will be able to put RUB inside of it. Faunarium + heat mat will never give you required temps. I had a problem like this before and I couldn't sleep at night because of this. I'm not even sure why they sell this s...t in the reptile shops.

VIV: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105824537/vivarium-brand-new.html
Stat: http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1729&ProductGroupID=909

Then bulb, bulb guard, Cable, Thermometer and that's mostly what you need. If you get that starter you will never use your heat mat, faunarium, poor quality thermostat. And bare in mind royals grow fasttttt, so your set up would be useful maybe for 2,3 months then you will have to get viv and spend extra money - unless you wanna keep your baby in RUB. Thats only my personal opinion - someone else may have different one.
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  21:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^
Very compelling argument, for 1 royal as a pet, why not spend a little extra upfront. Do it right first time and save yourself cost in the long run and get a nice viv

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  00:30:27  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use clear plastic storage boxes that cost about a fiver, melt some vent holes using a hot screw driver and get of any shrp edges where i have melted with a walpaper scraper. simple quick and cheap

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  01:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

I use clear plastic storage boxes that cost about a fiver, melt some vent holes using a hot screw driver and get of any shrp edges where i have melted with a walpaper scraper. simple quick and cheap

Yeah id do this with heatmat stat etc etc,or one of the exo terra faunarium,Sure you can get it cheaper then £50 to.Can't find this warrington exotics starter kit you mentioned.Then you can setup a viv over time already for him later.

Depends on the age of the royal you end up buying to ofc.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 27/06/2012 01:21:04
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  12:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I have decided on a rub until I build my viv. now, do I get a cb11 or cb12? Bearing in mind its my first python?

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  12:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only difference would be size. you want one thats a good feeder an with feeding records if the seller keeps them an look the royal over to see its healthy. clear eyes, tounge flicking, moves about fine an doesnt look skinny or dehydrated. loose skin an dented eye caps can be a sign of dehydration

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  12:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cb12's are from 888 so couldn't go see but the cb11's would be warrington exotics.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  13:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What python is that gonna be? just a normal one or one of the morphs?
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  13:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normal

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  16:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've asked as there are great deals on preloved.co.uk. You may get CB10, CB11, CB12 - choice is quite big and you have got pictures as well. May be worth to have a look. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  16:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also look on pets4homes.co.uk

1.0.0 Pastel Royal - Monty
0.1.0 Amel Corn - Connie (Still MIA)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Summer
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - awaiting name
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  18:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only issue is that there is usually a reason that the person is getting rid.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  18:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a browse through the RFUK classifieds theres usually lots of royals for sale
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snake-classifieds/

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  18:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main reason, that people get rid of their pets is - they treat them as a toys when they buy them. They want to have cool exotic animal but after some time thy change their mind and try to sell them or even give away for free. You can also find some breeders selling their animals, which is even better than reptile shop because before you buy a snake you can see its parents. Shop won't give you any warranty anyway. I got two young females from the shop about 2 months ago, one of them supposed to be pastel and with every day her colour is getting darker and darker. I will even post pictures of her so people can try to help me if its a pastel or just a normal python.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  22:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are loads of 'second hand' snakes out there, a lot of them haven't been handled a lot or maybe not fed as much as they should but they all seem to fall in at about the 0-2 year old window so basically still a very young snake and with the care, love and attention they deserve they will nearly all make perfectly good pets, there may be some out there that are aggressive or fussy eaters but it just makes them a bit more special working with them and bringing them round to make super animals.

Konrad you will find that any morph will be more distinct and vivid when they are little but as the pattern spreads out as they grow etc it does dull down, some pastels will dull so much you'd barely know they were pastel but the gene is still there for breeding and what not.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  13:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, unless you were going to be mass breeding and piling 'em high, i can't see the need or purpose of using RUBs. I mean, a snake stuck in a RUB is generally seriously devoid of tactile stimulation unless being handled and to me it smacks of non-commitment on the part of the owner.

It is my opinion that its much better to buy a decent vivarium and furnish it properly. The snake will have room to grow and its own 'domain' and will, frankly, look a whole lot better than a plastic box..

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  23:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

Personally, unless you were going to be mass breeding and piling 'em high, i can't see the need or purpose of using RUBs. I mean, a snake stuck in a RUB is generally seriously devoid of tactile stimulation unless being handled and to me it smacks of non-commitment on the part of the owner.

It is my opinion that its much better to buy a decent vivarium and furnish it properly. The snake will have room to grow and its own 'domain' and will, frankly, look a whole lot better than a plastic box..

There's nothing wrong with keeping a young snake in a rub,Most people do it.Anyway op is buying a viv once said snake is older.

quote:
have a browse through the RFUK classifieds theres usually lots of royals for sale
Second this,are you buying online from 888? or going in person to the shop? take alook at something from a breeder,might be something else that takes your fancy.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page