New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matildasmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there, i wanted to ask if there was anyhting i could seal the base of my viv with,
mine is a joiner build viv that was ready built for me, i wanted to seal the base of it as the inside is raw MDF which im assuming will rot quite quickly with it getting soiled and wet, is there anythingi can safely coat the base and sides with to tmake them water repellant.
many thanks, fran

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  16:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think aquarium sealant is what a lot of people use

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

matildasmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  16:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think thats just for sealing the joins tho, ive ordered some sticky back vinil stuff, will see if that works

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  17:43:14  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yacht varnish - but will need to be left for a good few weeks to air out...i haven't need it myself but i've read others have used it.

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  18:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, me again, lol. I have a MDF built viv stack, to seal it I used Ronseal Diamond hard waterproof clear varnish. As hard as I tried nowhere had yacht varnish round here. I have to say its perfect so far, went on well and sealed it perfectly, took 3 coats just to be certain I hadn't missed any patches but it is very waterproof, a good thing when your Boa pees a Tsunami every month or so.

You will have to get it clinically clean before varnishing and at least a week of airing out and all animals out of the room as it kicks up a fair bit of fumes. Then when it asll dries you will need to seal the edges with aquarium sealant, be warned though, it is horrendously fumey, I ended up high as a kite sealing my stack and it took nearly 2 weeks for the fumes to dissipate fully.

It is a lot of work but its worth it in the end.

Edited by - Lotabob on 12/08/2012 18:14:37
Go to Top of Page

matildasmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  18:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol Lotabob, glad to get the help to be honest, wish i had of thought of the waterproofing thing BEFORE i got my baby, i had a beardie before and her substrate was super deep so it was never an issue in my viv, also she was out of it more than she was in so never needed misting for shedding unlike ma poor wee royal who is havin a hell of a shed hence is getting bathed regularly, (twice a day) poor wee soul, although i have to say she doesnt seem to mind in the least bless her. as i said will try the sticky vinyl stuff first asleast till my heatmat n matstat come so i can put her in the rub till her viv is dry n fume free if i need to go down the varnish route lol. thanks for all the advise and help tho, its certainly coming in handy, thank goodness for the pros thats all i can say.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  19:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the heat in there the vinyl won't last that long, and as far as I'm aware all varnish is waterproof so the best one would be a water based varnish dries quickly and has much less fumes than yacht varnish, there is actually an MDF sealer it's similar to varnish (or the same) lol, if your in a rush you could always use wall tiles stuck and sealed with aqua sealant, you could even stick them to a 6mm piece of MDF outside the viv then place it in the viv as a false bottom once it had cured the following day...

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000