vivarium stack heating :/
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  21:23:24  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, we're in our new house, and Betty's (corn) viv is almost ready sitting on top of Sanchez'(corn) viv but...

Her reptile rad doesn't come on, it doesn't need to because the floor temp is over 30c :|

I put an extra vent at the bottom of the cool end of Sanchez' viv to stop it getting as overly hot to touch (obviously it is controlled by stat, but ground temp is spot on which means that the actual rad at the top was almost too hot to touch)

Before I did that I could put Chancho's (royal)rub on top of a few spare bits of wood and his temp would be 34C - without the bits of wood it got to over 40!! Obviously minus Chancho's house when i tried that!

What i was hoping to do, when Chancho was ready to have a viv was ut him in the top one (one top of Betty's) and it would be easy to get the higher temps needed. But now of course with Betty's rad not needing to switch on at all, it means that the top viv's heating will be going overtime to get a nice ground temp for a royal.

I was thinking of getting some feet/spacer things, but i'm worried it'll be really wonky and look a bit crap lol... any other options? Chancho wont be needing a viv for a while anyway, but i don't want Betty to cook - the glass isn't even in yet so i imagine once it's al closed in it will get far to hot for her.

Can you get sheets of stuff to reflect the heat back downwards?

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  21:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sheet stuff you talk about it called

Aluminium radiator foil

Screw fix sell it for about £5/6

Worth a try

Or what I done when I had 2 vivs stacked
Is use 2 by 4 wood and I put one length from to back at each ends and one in the middle

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 16/08/2012 21:35:07
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  22:00:24  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

The sheet stuff you talk about it called

Aluminium radiator foil

Screw fix sell it for about £5/6

Worth a try

Or what I done when I had 2 vivs stacked
Is use 2 by 4 wood and I put one length from to back at each ends and one in the middle

brill, will try the foil first - looks much easier lol :D cheers!

SE London - Canada Water

Edited by - mystra on 17/08/2012 10:39:37
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2012 :  11:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is the stuff
homebase and b&q sell it as well

http://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-reflector-foil-500mm-x-5m-2-5m/10612

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2012 :  11:11:53  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
right bumping this again as i'm having trouble again :(

I have the reflective foil foam stuff as above, but the temp is still really warm in Betty's viv above where Sanchez's rad is. In fact on the floor of Sanchez' viv it only gets to 26/27, but Betty's floor read 34 this morning! It's a double layer of foil as well. It was fine the other day but i think now the glass doors are on it's just holding even more heat in.

I'm considering doing away with both rad's now, glad i didn't get a third for Chancho - they just don't seem to suit my setups at all :( although i swear i'm the only one not singing their praises! Doesn't help that Betty's stat is playing up, luckily it doesn't actually need to come on I suppose! I guess I should probably try the wood idea before totally quitting though.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2012 :  12:28:24  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just had a thought (careful)

When we moved into the new flat and everything was upside down and back to front... we had Chancho's rub on top of Sanchez viv in our bedroom.

With about 3 inches of wood (spare bits from a shelf) it got the temp down to a royal friendly 30-odd c.

My problem is i don't have room to stack the vivs with that much wood between them (damn ceiling lol) without chopping the legs off the tables they're on and having the bottom viv almost on the floor (this is including the final viv number 3 for Chancho going on the top eventually)

aaarrghhh!! Help!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  16:19:06  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
with the help of some spacers (little metal cylinders i use inside my skate wheels - which i have lots spare) i have put a 8mm gap between the top of the rad and the ceiling of the viv. This has brought the temp down in the viv above to about 30-31c. Need to get longer screws and then i will add another set so there is more space (about 16mm). I also put some of the radiator foil on the bit of the ceiling above the rad for extra insulation.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2012 :  12:01:44  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got my longer screws and added another set of spacers.

I also put another few layers of radiator foil above, and used tacks to pin it up so that it doesn't hang down anywhere and because i couldn't find my usual sealant and i couldn't be arsed to move Sanchez out while it airs!

Betty's floor temp stays around 28-29c - her heatings not rigged up at all as the stat was broken and got fixed (just got it back today) but things the way they are i'm tempted to not bother and save my money by taking the rad out and saving it for Chancho's viv instead. Going to see how it gets on over winter first though... no rush as Chancho isn't viv ready yet anyway.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000