Technical types! Pulse stat not working :/
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2012 :  15:39:12  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a Habistat pulse stat rigged up to the reptile radiator in Betty's viv... and although currently it's warm enough due to being on top of Sanchez' viv (even with radiator foil in between!) I wanted to check the stat is actually working.

So i plugged the radiator straight into the mains - heats up fine.

So i plug the rad back into the stat - and wacked it up to the highest temp - nothing - no light - no extra heat and the rad is cooling down (nowhere near hot enough to get to 30-odd degrees on the floor)

The light only comes on faintly when it's got nothing plugged in.

It was working before when it was used with a heat mat in the old rack.

Any ideas - i know i can send it back to Habistat to be fixed as its probably only about a year old but it's all set up and I don't want to have to unhook it all unless i have to... it's only cable grips etc but it's a fiddly pain in the bum to redo lol

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2012 :  15:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the white housing heating up when it's turned on and pluged into the rad? I only ask cause I've had this happen to a couple of mat stats from habistat and on taking one apart the element had burnt out, just a thought that yours might have done the same.

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2012 :  16:08:19  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

Is the white housing heating up when it's turned on and pluged into the rad? I only ask cause I've had this happen to a couple of mat stats from habistat and on taking one apart the element had burnt out, just a thought that yours might have done the same.

i'll switch it on now and see what happens - don't recall it being warm when it was on before though.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2012 :  16:55:01  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has the stat been working with that radiator before or was it used with something else.
Does the stat work if you plug something else into it.
What is the wattage of the radiator and the stat.
Is the probe free from damage and still where it should be and not touching the radiator.
If possible plug a lamp into the stat so you can see what it doing.
Just a few thoughts. Its difficult to diagnose remotely.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2012 :  21:47:47  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baobab

Has the stat been working with that radiator before or was it used with something else.
Does the stat work if you plug something else into it.
What is the wattage of the radiator and the stat.
Is the probe free from damage and still where it should be and not touching the radiator.
If possible plug a lamp into the stat so you can see what it doing.
Just a few thoughts. Its difficult to diagnose remotely.

i've used the stat with Betty's heat mat before when she was in her old RUB set up, i put it into the viv a while back and just assumed it wasn't coming on because it didn't need to, with the heat from Sanchez' viv below being enough.

Probe is in the right place (on the floor area under the rad)- it hasn't been damaged or anything from what i can see.

I tried plugging a heat mat into the stat instead and nothing happened. But the lamp's a good idea so i'll do that in a sec :)

It's just weird when the stat has nothing plugged into it, the LED comes on very dimly... so there's life in it somewhere lol

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2012 :  22:31:41  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well no luck with the lamp... although i tried it with Chancho's stat which is working and it didn't make the light come on either!

aarrghh!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2012 :  07:53:21  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We had a similar problem with our habistat proportional pulse when using it with a ceramic bulb. It would start working then cut out after a few minutes. The ceramic would be ok when plugged into the Mains and the stat was ok with a 100 watt lamp. Bought another ceramic and it worked fine ever since. At a guess I would say the stats safety may be picking up a slight flaw in the heating element which once hot will significantly reduce its resistance. If you haveanother radiator or a ceramic I would try that in the stat.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2012 :  11:02:54  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baobab

We had a similar problem with our habistat proportional pulse when using it with a ceramic bulb. It would start working then cut out after a few minutes. The ceramic would be ok when plugged into the Mains and the stat was ok with a 100 watt lamp. Bought another ceramic and it worked fine ever since. At a guess I would say the stats safety may be picking up a slight flaw in the heating element which once hot will significantly reduce its resistance. If you haveanother radiator or a ceramic I would try that in the stat.

oh no :( i don't have another rad or ceramic. The rad heats up fine if i just plug it into the mains, I'll be gutted if it's faulty, as that's an even bigger job (especially now the roof of the viv is on properly with nails and everything arrgghh).

Surely it would be the stat that's problem? it wouldn't even turn a heat mat on at all. (wishful thinking lol)

To be honest i'm on the verge of doing away with these stupid reptile radiators... i think they're fine for a stand alone viv but once you start stacking them you run into problems (but that's a different thread lol)

Thanks for your help Baobab!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  16:12:13  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well emailed Habistat and I'm posting it to them to be repaired - they said it sounds like the Triac has busted (the what? LOL)

Hopefully wont take long - luckily Betty's viv is well toasted with Sanchez' radiator... which after much faffing now heats up her floor to 30 instead of 35!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  16:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think you will find its a quick turn around
from what ive read

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  16:47:00  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

i think you will find its a quick turn around
from what ive read

yeah a few on the dark side said its really quick - it's more faff for me having to pull out all the sodding cable grips lol

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2012 :  11:58:25  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sent the stat off on Tuesday via Special Delivery (signed and next day) - it's fixed and back with me today! All i've had to pay was for postage to send it to them - i'm well chuffed!

Although at the moment, Betty doesn't even need heating... but that's another thread!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000