Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So it's time to start work on the reptile room (Very excited!)

We're going to be converting the back wall into basically a wall-long RUB rack to hold a larger number of snakes (and to get them out my bedroom (Absolutely not to free up space for a retic -cough- ))

First question I've come across is do I want to construct a large RUB rack or would it be easier to just drill in strong ledges to the walls of my room which could hold shelves to act as the rub rack!

Any opinions? Anyone spotting me doing something dumb?

edit: Been thinking that if the shelves were attached straight to the walls of the room it could negetively effect the heat as the walls are brick and pretty cool. Though I was thinking of using an oil heater to raise the whole rooms ambient temperature up, not sure if that would help. I could always attached heat reflective tape to the walls too :/ hmmmm

Alternatively I could pay reptilemadd obscene amounts of money to just build me a rack lol

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Edited by - Kelfezond on 09/09/2012 12:07:18

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i would build a free standing rack as like you say the wall may not insulate very well and if you needed to fix/change anything it would be easier to pull the rack away from the wall to get to the back.

if the room is heated with a oil radiator then the heat cable wont need to do as much work for the hot spot so may reduce your electric costs a little once the room is up to temp from the radiator.

i would get a burm, scrub python or afrock over a rectic personally

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

i would get a burm, scrub python or afrock over a rectic personally

That Chris is because you are insane! haha! Wouldn't get me handling an Afrock if you paid me, I do very much like Burm's at the moment but last few weeks I've become a little obsessed with Retics :) Honestly any of the big snakes would be risky with me as if I get lucky (or unlucky) and get a huge specimen I'd probably just not have the room for it.

As for the room, The thing I liked about securing it to the external walls was that it would just be rested on the wall fittings so if I had to do anything I wouldn't have to shift a massive unit I'd just have to remove a few RUB's, unthread some heat wire and lift the shelf out that needs to be changed.

Problem with a freestanding unit that big is it's literally wall to wall so getting behind it would be difficult. :(

I think you're right on the heating though I may have to look into various room heating sources :)

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is very true, someone i know near me is selling a young afrock for £40 and im getting very tempted.

good point about moving such a big unit if you screwed contiboard all along the wall then fixed the shelves to that it would help stop the heat loss through the wall

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another good point, it's so difficult to choose because firstly it's not my permanent home I'll probably be gone in 2-3 years when the missus leaves Uni and I don't really want to destroy a room with a bunch of drill holes. But I also don't want to make a huge task for myself when inevitably something goes wrong and I need to get behind an 8'6'' long rack.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could fit 3 or 4 strips of wood to the wall an fit the board to that to save on drill holes in the wall or build 2 free standing racks that are on wheels so they can be moved a bit easier if you need to

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

you could fit 3 or 4 strips of wood to the wall an fit the board to that to save on drill holes in the wall or build 2 free standing racks that are on wheels so they can be moved a bit easier if you need to

True, True! I forgot wheels existed

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  14:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd go for racks
Like you say you will move 2-3 years time
And you will be in the same situation as now
;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  14:07:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

I'd go for racks
Like you say you will move 2-3 years time
And you will be in the same situation as now
;)

'tis a good point suppose it would save me tearing down everything. Might be an idea to build 2-3 racks and just push them close together.

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  16:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im panicking about moving, as soon as i get re-posted im going to have to move my rack and it is HEAVY! couldnt believe how muh it weighed for a few bits of conti!

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

Meadow
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  21:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could whack some Kingspan on the walls so there's a layer of insulation between the rubs and the brick wall. It's great stuff! If you build racks I'd go with building two or three and pushing them together. Sounds safer and less of a potential disaster that way (got visions of an 8ft rack tumbling over and lots of snakes with headaches wondering what caused the earthquake)

Safety-wise, I'd throw up the Kingspan and build shelves direct to the wall.

1.1.0 human beasties
0.1.0 royal python

“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.” - Alan Cohen

Edited by - Meadow on 09/09/2012 21:40:18
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  21:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote: "Alternatively I could pay reptilemadd obscene amounts of money to just build me a rack lol"

I'm sorry you feel that I charged you an obscene amount mate, :(. I would go with racks though, as D3l says if/when you move it would save you money.

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  22:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

Quote: "Alternatively I could pay reptilemadd obscene amounts of money to just build me a rack lol"

I'm sorry you feel that I charged you an obscene amount mate, :(. I would go with racks though, as D3l says if/when you move it would save you money.

Lol you didn't you were very reasonable, but that was for 1 rack of about 1ft wide, I'd need another 8 of those which would bankrupt me! xD

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  14:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all honesty mate a bigger rack might work out cheaper overall, a significant part of the price of a rack is the sundries, so just the rack itself (leaving you to buy the rubs etc as and when) might not be that expensive, oh and on a side note I was right about the feet making it move more, I've just done another one the same size as yours without them and it seems better, will know for sure when I fill it lol. Also I've managed to find the right size steel tubing so I can now do them in red, black and blue....

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 10/09/2012 14:56:51
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  15:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well hey man I can tell you the sizes I need and you're more than welcome to give me a quote if it's good we'll talk from there :)

It'll be about 8'5'' long, 24'' wide and say 6' high (possibly a little higher if it'll fit another RUB :) (though of course this may need to be two or even three seperate racks as there is no way I'll get an 8'5'' long unit up my staircase and around the tight bends of my hallway. Will also need to be incredibly sturdy and not wobble at all and each RUB I want lidless now so the space between shelves will need to be tight for the external 50litre rub measurements, I only want half of the 8'5'' designed for 50litre the other half needs to be split between 9lt and 12lt lol lots of work! I imagine it'll be quite expensive :/

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  16:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shouldn't think you'd have to sell your soul ( although )

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  16:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe just my pinstripe ^^

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  16:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it can only be 24" wide (600mm) then you'd have to have the 50ltr Rubs in landscape instead of portrait if that makes sense as they are 710mm long

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  16:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would extend it to 710mm then, I used the internal 50litre measurement not the external :/ dumbass me

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  12:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Started our design today, looks like we're going for the fixed-to-the-wall method. Going to have 5 8ft long shelves sat ontop of three lengths of baton fixed onto the wall at set intervals, going to a total of (I think it was) 20 50litre RUB's, then as we use both 9litre and 12litre rubs the next 6 or so shelves will be the same high apart as fortunately 9litre and 12litre have the same external lidless height. Should end up with about 60-70 RUB's total :)

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  14:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice choice mate don't forget pic's

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"