New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tiggy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  01:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!!!!! Just had to get this out as I've gone crazeeee!!! Went out yesterday to get Mnemeth's grub and some chicks for my kestrel. The place where I normally get them sell lizards and spiders but, yesterday of all days, she had a Royal in a tank that someone had been desperate to get rid of as they had to move out of their flat. Shop owner took it in to sell but said that she hadnt really wanted it. Three year old male normal....though its alien heads are more like spots or blobs really....big chunky guy compared to Mnemeth (whose about two now). I just HAD to pick him up and.....you have guessed it.......I was smitten! He is about 3.5ft long maybe and heavy. Just couldnt leave him there for anyone else, so out I came with weaners, chicks, and my new boy (unnamed as yet!). He is now happily slithering around what was to have been Mnemeth's new home, but she has been put back in her Rub since the feeding problem, so I now have to buy a new viv for when Mnemeth is ready. Tried my new boy on a weaner tonight and he struck no problem, so well pleased. He is sooooo laid back. One question though as Mnemeth is about half his girth.... is a weaner a week enough for him,or should I try something bigger?

Oh! one more....has anyone ever kept two or three females together in the same viv? Just something I was reading mentioned it.

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  01:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hha congrats on the impulse buy you just cant resist sometimes, glad to hear he fed straight away.
you can cohabit snakes if female or breeding pairs but personaly i would not cohabit royals as you know they can be fussy feeders so best if they have their own space,

you want to be feeding 10-15% of their bodyweight think most people on here feed this amount and it works well for them

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  23:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I heard was new snake and you have a Kestrel.

Pics of both please.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  09:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bob I want Kestrel pics, got into falconry a little myself was close to buying a harris hawk but breeding season got in the way and I was too busy, might look into it again next year!

As for cohabiting, yes it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it for same reasons Chris said.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Tiggy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  03:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love Harrises but had some problems with one some years ago, so went for the big owls instead...Snowies and Eagle owls as I'm an owl freak. Then along came Kato, my kestrel, with talons like hyperdermics!!!! Will try and get some pics out if I can dig out my camera. Kelf...you will need a full day with your snakes as well!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000