Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  12:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have 3 lovely royals at home
molly cb2011 currently weighing in at 160g doing well eats well currently had a bad shed but seems to be getting back on track.

rainbow (told a girl)not sure of age but about 4 ft long we have owned since aug 2012 currently weighing in at 1869g.
petals (told a girl) not sure of age but also about 4ft long but smaller head size to rainbow (came with rainbow) aug 2012 currently weighing in at 2209g after eating 2 weaner rats the day b4.

the larger snakes have been together for a long time before we owned them - rainbow weighed more when they first arrived but has now not eaten for 6-8 weeks and is dropping weight which you can see visually this is becoming a concern for us as the other one seems to be doing fine.

im trying to post of there viv so i can get people opinion (but finding it hard to upload one)
i have read all peoples advice on encouraging them to feed but nothing seems to be working.

Edited by - jenjuly82 on 10/10/2012 12:42:50

rockroyal
Yearling

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  12:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try feeding them in there hides! Some royals are shy eaters! Are your temps ok

3.1.0 royal python
2.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 western hognose
0.1.0 bci
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  14:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here (hopefully) is a pic of there viv - it was given to us by the person who originally had the snakes, it has a microclimate advanced heating system and a basking lamp the temp reading is normally 78-82
As you can see it has two shelves the snakes tend to sit with eachother on the top shelf
At the bottom is a large hide and water bowl
There's 4 branches in there and there substrate is on both shelves and bottom of viv!
Any pros and cons of this set up ?

Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Yearling

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  16:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot end temps need to sit around 90 (31/32)

3.1.0 royal python
2.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 western hognose
0.1.0 bci
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  17:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've tried encreasing the heat the Microclimate heating system is on its max and the light in there is a 60w I think which is on 8-8pm but the temp reading never gets up more than 80.c !! Would you suggest putting in a different bulb ??

Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Yearling

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  18:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and as always make sure the bulb is guarded

3.1.0 royal python
2.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 western hognose
0.1.0 bci
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  19:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is the viv?3 foot by 4 foot high?

The heater is mounted to the side,So it's heating the whole top part.You could mount it to the top of the roof,Have the heat going down onto the top shelf.

Also get a digital thermometer,Then take a reading from where they sit.That stick on thing is pants.

if it's still not getting to temp,get another bulb you won't need that microclimate heater then.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  19:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've calculated -
Length 2ft 11''
Height 4ft
Width 1ft 6''

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  18:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to keep the temps the same 24/7, there`s no need to lower the temps in the night time unless you want to breed.
What wieght are the rats that you are using?

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  19:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right ive been and brought a digital thermometer and ive placed the sensor in the area they send most of there time (is that right or do i place it in the centre of the viv on the back wall) on the top shelf its reading 81.3'f to 81.9'f thats with the microclimate advanced heating system on and the 60w bulb on.
ive brought a 100w ceramic bulb & a ceramic lamp fixture, and a on/off thermostat and a heater guard!
obviously i swap the ceramic bits for the original lighting equipment, but do i still need the advanced heating system thing in the viv?
and do i place the ceramic fixing to the same place the original light fixing was?

Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  19:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is how things are at the moment - this is how the tank come set up from the previous owner so we just carried in using it the same way

Go to Top of Page

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  20:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i personally think that space is a little big.. you may be able to get loads of fake plants for more cover ;)

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  20:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HaydenK

i personally think that space is a little big.. you may be able to get loads of fake plants for more cover ;)

im trying to get the temp sorted and the biggest snake eating again then i'll re-decorate lol

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  20:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 4 foot x 2 foot vivs, so a similar volume to yours, and I use a 250w ceramic. hot end 90f (I check with a laser gun) and I do drop the temps at night, well I dont, my stat drops 8f from 930pm until 8am

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  20:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

I have 4 foot x 2 foot vivs, so a similar volume to yours, and I use a 250w ceramic. hot end 90f (I check with a laser gun) and I do drop the temps at night, well I dont, my stat drops 8f from 930pm until 8am

oh so a 100w ceramic isnt really going produce enough heat then

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  00:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What wattage is that heater btw? As i can't see it only getting to 80f with a bulb and the heater.

You only took the temps with the stick on thermometer right?The viv is only 2 foot long,with the heater and 150 watt bulb.It should get to temp.Just the 150/200 watt ceramic should get you the temps on the basking spot/area.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  12:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heater is 150 watt! I'm not sure how old the heater thing is and do you have to change the plate thing inside??? It's set to the max out put of 35'c
I've brought a digital thermometer and reading is 81.7 That's with the heater on and bulb on from 8am

Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your AHS should be enough to heat that viv on its own. It should be mounted about 4 inches off the floor and the sensor at a similar height in the middle of the viv, along the back wall. They are great heaters but can be a bit twitchy to set up. You ned to slowly increase the temperature pot until the led stops flashing and stays on steady. Then wait until it starts to flash then increase it again until its steady. Keep repeating until it reaches the desired temp. What can happen with these heaters if it tries to bring the temp up too fast is that the thermal safety trip on the housing will trip off the heater and by the time it resets you have lost all the previously gained heat and are back to square one.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  13:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you I will try the above ^^^^
Can you buy/replace the ceramic plate for a higher wattage but keep the same housing for the AHS

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  14:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe try seperating them until the non feeder is feeding again.

Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  17:25:48  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you can get replacement parts for the AHS. the following gives the user instructions and contact detail to ask the manufacturer about the plates.
www.microclimate.co.uk/ahs_user_guide.pdf

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000