Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  17:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have taken all the ceramic set up back to the shop and got a refund - went to my reliable reptile shop who I often visit for some advice, he suggested a infra red 100 watt bulb and reset the AHS which I've done and the temp has risen and the snakes seem to like the change of bulb as they basking underneath which they hardly did before - fingers crossed they both feed well tomorrow and I'll be a happy mummy

Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2012 :  11:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use an AHS heater and the instructions say it should be placed on a side wall approx. 4cms above the substrate. I think the problem you are having is the wattage is too low and the heater being placed so high in the viv means the hot air doesn't circulate as well as it should. I have a 4' by 2' viv and a 500watt AHS and it copes no problem. If you want haven't got a copy of the AHS set up instructions I can scan mine and email them to you.
Go to Top of Page

jenjuly82
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2012 :  18:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I have contacted the manufacturing company of the AHS and he told me the wattage is to low I should have a 500w in that size tank so will be investing in one in the near future

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2012 :  19:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the heaters wattage is the issue, it should be more than capable of heating up a spot you can call the hot spot (Baobab's advice about only increasing gradually to avoid the safety trip is a great one). Due to the height and design of the vivarium you wont have a hot side and an ambient side like the standard less height more width vivarium. The snakes are giving you a clear indication of where the hottest place that they can get to is. You can consider that the hot spot, you aim to get that spot to 32-33oC/90-92oF, the rest you can call ambient which should be anywhere from 24oC to about 27oC dependant on the temperature of the room and the amount of ventilation.

Its a lovely vivarium, and you have the rare visible variation of the Royal Python, a lot of them hide away. I wouldn't be overly worried too much about the not eating situation just yet (mine has eaten once in the past 4 months), Royal's go long periods without eating anyway without any side effects, the important thing is to get the temperatures right, you have everything available to do it it just takes a bit of tweaking to get it there but once it is you'll barely need to do anything. The only purchase I would make is another hide, my big lad fills an XL Exo Terra hide, 2 snakes would be just slightly too much of a squeeze.

You'll also get the separate them call from time to time, I personally am not a fan of keeping them together BUT if it works for you and they are healty etc then really I can't say anything about it and if they were previously housed together then it shouldn't be the cause for concern although while its not quite warm enough they will be competing for the best spot but snakes compete in a subtle way.

Go to Top of Page

jackiee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  16:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
definitely seperate them, i think thats your main problem as snakes are solitary animals.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000