How To - Warming a prey item
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:21:53  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, thought I would create a post on how I warm my prey items and I would like you to post your own methods for people who are just starting out with snakes and are not sure whats what.

After defrosting the rats/mice for about 6 hours (depending on size), this is what I do:

I have 2 tubs, 1 that the rats/mice were defrosted in.

The second one I half fill with hot water from the kettle and place the first tub in that.

After 15 - 20 seconds the rats/mice are warm enough to be offered, I generally offer the smaller items first so the larger items have a little more warming time.

From the various methods I have used, this is my preferred option, its fast, clean and effective.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

AndyJ80
Yearling

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do pretty much the same but I only warm the head as I think it gives them a target zone

1.0.0 CB12 Normal
1.0.0 CB12 Super Pastel
0.1.0 CB12 Mojave
1.0.0 CB10 Fire
0.1.0 CB10 Blackbee
0.1.0 CB10 Granite het albino
0.1.0 CB12 Vanilla
1.1.0 CB12 Pastel 100% het G Stripe
0.1.0 CB12 Enchi
1.1.0 CB12 het Caramel
0.1.0 CB12 het Pied
0.1.0 CB12 het Orange Ghost
1.0.0 CB10 Pastel het Orange Ghost
1.0.0 CB12 Cinnamon Genetic Stripe
0.1.0 CB13 Pastel

more on the way
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This could be a great thread, possible a sticky once there are plenty of posts

My method is true to my "less is more, quicker is better" philosophy

1) select amount/variety of item to be defrosted
2) boil kettle
3) place item to be defrosted in a large enough container to allow all item to be covered in water
4) cover items in boiling water
5) leave for 30-40mins
6) re boil kettle
7) cover items in fresh hot water
8) feed snakes

This is how all my snakes have been fed over the last 10+ years and has never let me down

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put my rats in sandwich bags, then leave in a tub of hot water to defrost. when its time for feeding, I run the hot tap in the tub for a while to warm up the rats. I have never used boiling water as they will start to cook the flesh

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The easiest way for me is to leave the rats on top of the viv above the heat source for a few hours, they normally defrost and are warm enough within about 4-5 hours. My boys are that greedy they'd prob eat them frozen haa

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  22:16:38  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put mine in sandwich bags if I am only doing a few, like markmifsud, and cover in hot tap water. On my big feed day, I put the rats directly in the hot water in a designated bowl. I made the mistake of using boiling water from the kettle over partially warmed rats once, and not only did it make their hair pull out (scalded), one rat literally burst. Worst thing I have ever smelled in my life. Rat intestinal contents smell putrid. I have a couple really picky snakes that require the heads to be "blow dried".

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  23:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the exact same method as Acd ;) I usually leave the rats 4+ hours to defrost first though, Never had any issues ;) (only the odd non feeder)

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  23:24:46  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We allow the rats/mice to defrost at room temperature throughout the day, then when it's time to feed, place the prey in a freezer bag then into a cup of tap hot water for a few minutes to warm up, then offer from tongs. The large rats are defrosted the same but are warmed up with a hair drier in the same room as the customer and offered to the recipient in their viv.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  00:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the rats out in the morning and leave them on top of the vivarium (cold side), once they have defrosted fully I move them over to where the heat bulb is mounted to heat them up. I prefer to defrost them not using heat as I dont want to miss any frozen bits inside because the outside is hot. I also find having the food sitting out close by has the snakes all out and hunting ready for feeding, specially the Boa, she can smell a rat from a mile away.

Go to Top of Page

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  18:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I take the rat out of freezer in morning, rap in kitchen towel and leave all day.when feeding time I fill a cup up with hot tap water and place rat in.I then put my royal in his feeding box, I then grab rat with tongs dab off excess water with kitchen towel then offer food to Winston.job done .

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Dr marshmallow brazilan black terranchala
Skellator costa Rican zebra T
Plus4 hissing cockroaches.
Reggie CA dwarf boa het blood
Willow Hognose
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  18:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stick them in a tub Woh the lid on and just leave them untill I get back from work. Worked well until not so long ago when they stopped eating :(

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2012 :  05:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I normally put the frozen rat in a plastic tub and leave it on top of the viv. I put it over where the ceramic bulb is and it gently warms it. Then I give the rat a quick blast with the hair dryer before serving on a bed of rocket..... okay so maybe theres no salad, but these posts are starting to sound like cooking instructions lol.

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: