Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  09:25:15  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello boys and girls!

Am going to take the time to get some feelings down in writing and see if I can work some things out, some of you whom I am closest with know I've been struggling with the Pilk' lately (Aggressive 6ft male boa).

It's no secret I don't handle him as much as I should, originally this was because he was settling in, when that excuse wore off it was because I was busy, when that wore off it was because he was mating with Pandora (which is a fair point really I can't drag him off her) but lately it's gotten worse.

Twice I've actually failed to get him out through my fault and the problem was sheer cowardice, my nerves got the better of me and I couldn't commit to putting my hand into the cage with him striking at the glass and open mouthed hissing.

I'm sure it's all a confidence thing but I can't work out where things changed, the first six or seven times I handled him I did it in short sleeved shirt with no hook and no gloves just my hands and the knowledge that snakes are generally alot better once you grab them. Then over time I got a hook which was meant to be used to get his head away when I first pick him up, then over time the hook became more and more dominant until recfently it became my main extension for moving and handling him. Now I use a hook, I wear a thick coat and I wear strong gloves - to look back at me picking him up with no issue is rediculous I've literally no idea how we got to this point.

The snake is draining me physically and emotionally I've spent way too much time stressing over this, I've been completely ashamed that people see me as somebody to go to with their snake problems and I can't even handle my own, feel like a feaud and a fake.

I did think about selling him a while back, but I had another handling session and I thought I noticed improvement in him so I changed my mind, that hasn't changed I know I'm not going to sell him, I've not given up just yet. I've thought of housing him in a vivarium that's easier to access him but honestly I don't think that's the issue, he's been aggressive since before I had him so I'm fairly sure my husbandry or treating of him isn't an issue, he's eating fine, drinks fine, bathes and shed's fine. The problem isn't with him it's with me.

Two days ago was my first failure, I donned my safety gear and I tried to get him out, things were different and I couldn't work out why - my heart always races but this time I couldn't stop thinking about the strike, something that's never really bothered me before. I poked and prodded with the hook trying to get the "perfect" position to pick him up by and each time he just got more and more angry, hissing and striking. And after about 5 minutes I knew I wasn't going to do it no matter how good a position he was in.

The next day I came in from work determined to crack it, I spoke to nobody and just locked myself away in the room - glass open I grabbed him with both hands, didn't think and pulled him. He was wrapped around the water bowl support and he got soaked in water - like a fool I thought I'd let go and grab him again in 5 mins when he was dry - didn't want to soak my clothes and the carpet... Naturally in that 5 mins I lost my nerve and ended up just annoying him with a hook again, I grabbed him again but as soon as he swung his head around I dropped him again - fear and nerves.

I'm not particularly looking for advice or help, I know what I need to do I just need to get my body to be able to go through with it without backing out - not looking for sympathy I took on a very challenging snake I should have known what was going to happen.

I've blown the whole thing way out of proportion now, in my head I'm a failure and that's bringing me down, every time I "Man up" I end up losing my nerve again 5 minutes later. I need a little win with him, one good handling session would sort it all out - I hope I can crack it soon and go back to how we were.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  10:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do think a change of viv might help. Ive seen your viv and as wonderful as it all looks, theres lots of things for a boa to wrap around making it very hard to get them out. I reckon you would have a much easier time if he was just in a 6ft viv exotic with a water bowl and a big plastic hide. No branches or decorations. I know it never looks very good, I always like a well decorated viv, but would make life a lot easier if he has nothing to wrap around.
There is a mind set you can get yourself in where you have to tell yourself that a snake bite isnt actually that bad! They do sting, there is blood, but as long as it doesnt hold on to you its not too bad. just gives you a good shock!!
Good luck with it though, and respect for not giving up and being honest.

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  11:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelf could it be linked to the course you did with venomous snakes..I know you were taught how to use a snake hook effectively.
It could explain why you are beating yourself up over 'supposed' failure with Pilkington. In your mind perhaps telling yourself he's just a harmless boa, but hell s boa commands respect, packs a nasty bite even if not fatal.

You don't need a win over him, what you need is mutual trust and respect.
Take it slow, Pilk will come around, it sounds like he lost trust in people.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  11:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW
You don't need a win over him, what you need is mutual trust and respect.
Take it slow, Pilk will come around, it sounds like he lost trust in people.

Aye this is probably true but it's much easier for me to look at him as a challenge if I start feeling sorry for him I feel even worse for letting him down :(

Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  11:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You aren't letting him down, and no need to feel sorry for him either :)
Best look on it as a build up of confidence for you both, mutual.
When you start a new job, or meet new people its not a challenge to make friends, it is mutual respect and friends are made slowly.

To see Pilk as a challenge is a recipe to fail, maybe begin by stroking his back without forcing him to come out which frightens him I think. Then he'll soon learn that human contact isn't so bad.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  11:28:40  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
+1 for jonnys smaller viv. Smaller space may help calm him down a bit and with less things for him to hold onto or flee to, getting him out will be less traumatic for both of you. Well done for sticking with it.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  11:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Might come to that :( I really, really don't want to stick him in that nasty 6ft thing I had Pandora in, it's awful.

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  12:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will be much more willing to get him out if you dont have wrestlemania pulling him off branches etc. each time. I think a simplified set up would really help. It would just be a case of grabbing him, and thats the worst part over.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  12:08:37  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

You will be much more willing to get him out if you dont have wrestlemania pulling him off branches etc. each time. I think a simplified set up would really help. It would just be a case of grabbing him, and thats the worst part over.

Oooooh no no no, the worst part is after that when you're holding onto a 6ft snake for dear life and it continuously strikes out at anything that moves xD

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear you do seem to have your hands full. I have actually seen a video of you handling the beast. Seemed very flighty and fast. Not the usual relaxed attitude you expect from a boa.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  12:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah my handling skills leave a lot to be desired but he is flighty as hell

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  12:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude. Don't feel bad about being slightly cautious of an extremely angry 6 foot boa!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  14:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Blah! Just re-read this thread, very shameful. Tonight I'm going to throw those damn silly gloves away and pick up my snake.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you thought that he maybe just doesnt like being handled? This is the conclusion i have come to with my jcp. She doesnt like being touched or picked up and is less stressfull to her and me if she is left alone as much as poss

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  15:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

Have you thought that he maybe just doesnt like being handled? This is the conclusion i have come to with my jcp. She doesnt like being touched or picked up and is less stressfull to her and me if she is left alone as much as poss

Yep we thought this was the case from the start but unfortunately for Pilkington he doesn't have much choice. He's cohabitting and so needs to be removed for feeding, the water bowl we have cannot be taken out so he has to get used to me being inside the vivarium cleaning it and refilling it as well.

It's easier for him if he will eventually tame down.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  15:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completely forgot they were kept together. I can see why he needs to be handled

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  15:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If worse comes to worse I'll do it the way you suggested Blackskull and just keep hands off him, I'll just put a snake bag over his head when he needs taking out and remove him that way- would just be nicer for all concerned if he does tame down just enough for a 15 second walk to the other room and into a RUB or snake bag.

Worst case scenario if he cannot calm down at all at any point we might have to serious consider selling him or housing him in another vivarium

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its always nicer having a snake you can handle. Watching them is amazing, but handling is soo much better.

I know he was aggressive before you got him, but do you think the cohabiting is having any effect on him? Maybe he just doesnt like to leave his girlfriend :p

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  16:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nah don't think it's had any effect.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2012 :  00:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he was a bad choice to buy,To cohabit with your other boa.And will always be alot harder work.

Have you thought he may never tame up?and this is just how he will always be?

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2012 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aye thought of that a few times, only one way to find out though

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000