Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  13:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone got any tips for feesing hatchlings? 3 out of 5 of them have shed now and I was planning to feed them this weekend.. I've got pinkies to try at the moment. I really don't want to try feeding live.. but if I have to then I will. Any tips for getting them to have their first feed?

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
1.0 Spider Royal - Rupert
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  20:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd just give it a go drop feeding and see what happens. Just make sure the food is nice and warm and fingers crossed they'll chow down. If not dont worry about it, they can take their time

Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  15:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thank you :) I'll give it a go.

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  13:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't start with drop feeding
I'd want to be making them strike feed on rat pups (try warming them up)
Granted if they don't strike feed after a few attempts
Then you will have to start trying something different
One being drop fed

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  10:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried strike feeding.. they all cowered away not at all interested. Made sure they were warm and brained the fluffs.. still not interested. Drop fed over night last night.. none ate :(

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

BunkerGirl
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  10:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely a newb so don't hold me to it if it's bad advice but when I despaired with Shirley turns out she likes to find hers. I just hide her mouse/rat somewhere in the viv, under a log of something and now she eats every time. She's even getting showy about it and bringing them out to eat in front of me. I think each snake just has their own way.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  21:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JodiT

Tried strike feeding.. they all cowered away not at all interested. Made sure they were warm and brained the fluffs.. still not interested. Drop fed over night last night.. none ate :(

Don`t worry to much, and braining may be a little early at this stage. Don`t forget they have just consumed their yolks so are going to have enough nutrition to see themselves through a couple of weeks at least.
I`d give them another week at least before having any need to worry. Although im waiting for my 1st clutches to hatch i have purchased some very young Royals and lots need a little assistance to get them on their way.

Assist feeding isn`t at all hard if you dont want to go down the live route. There is a very video on Youtube by Snakebytes, it explains in very good detail how to hold them properly and it doesn`t have to be at all stressful.
http://youtu.be/9A0LhvhVZAY (around the 6 minute mark)

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 03/07/2013 21:56:34
Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  09:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah okay thanks! They are almost 3 weeks old now and shed around days 10-12 after hatching. When should I start getting worried..? I think assisted feeding and definitely live feeding would be a last resort for me

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  09:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try not to get to worried.
You'll only stress yourself out, assist feeding isn't at all hard and you'll probably find that after you have gently pushed the pup into their mouths that they'll constrict and eat. After 3-4 assists they will generally know what to do.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 04/07/2013 10:04:28
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  10:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where abouts in the country are you? Do you have a reptile shop near you? You may be able to find an experienced keeper near by who can help.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 04/07/2013 10:08:41
Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  11:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I live nearby a reptile shop.. I actually got the mum in there to begin with! I spoke to them at the weekend when I bought the fluffs and they basically said its a bit trial and error but once theyve got the taste for mice ot's easier after that haha

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  12:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typical answer from a pet shop.
I'd say watch a few videos on YouTube, you'll soon get the idea, and try assist.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  12:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll give it a go tonight... let you know how I get on haha.

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  20:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched loads of vids.. figured I had a pretty good idea of how to do assisted feeding... when I came to try it I failed! Couldn't even get my fingers in the right place to try the fluffs :( I think ot was mostly because I was nervous.. but I don't think I'll be trying it again any time soon :(

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  20:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although assist should be a last resort

You have to get the mouse by the head get a good grip on it and using the mouses nose push down or up on the royals front mouth

I hatched 7 last year and none feed off the bat
Some strike feed after one assist
Others didnt one even took a good 6 months to get strike feeding

I'd say don't bother them to often
And have another try
They will get the idea
Good luck

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 04/07/2013 20:54:39
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  21:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with above,
It is a little nerve racking on the 1st go however once you have managed it is a very easy thing to do.
I`ve taken a Picture of me holding my male Pastel as if i was going to assist feed him, you can see that if you hold their heads between your thumb and forefinger as i have you will have full control.

Then its just a case of putting the mouse or fluffs nose at the tip of the snakes mouth, push gently and they will open their mouths and the rest im sure you`ve seen.
I find that you have very little to no success if you start without being able to control the snake.
Give it another week and see if you can get some used rodent bedding to thaw the food items out on.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 04/07/2013 21:50:54
Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  16:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gave it another go today.. I have left them all week then got each of them out, made sure they were relaxed and moving confidently then tried it. Two of them I had no chance they were too fiddly and ended up balling up in seconds.. the other three I got to the point with the fluff in their mouth, gently worked it in and then put them back in their tubs to do the rest... and all three spit it out! I'm guessing I didn't put the fluff in far enough but I was worried and didn't want to push it too much. They are 4 weeks old this weekend now and still none of them have fed..

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  11:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done though. When you get the food in their mouths hold them until you feel them constricting, this is the 1st sign that they know what to do and more times than not they will then go on to eat. Don't forget balling up is their only defence so you need to unrap them gently. Give it a couple of days and have another go. Trust me once one has fed you'll have all the confidence you need.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2013 :  13:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jodi, don't worry too much at this stage they can go between 6 - 8 weeks before you need to worry about assist feeding, my last clutch two fed straight after they shed and are now strike feeding rat fluffs, they all fed at first by drop feeding rat pups and leaving overnight, post shed, I still have two that are not eating regularly but at least have taken a rat pup. The weights post shed ranged between 64g and 71g and it is the 71g hatchling that isn't feeding regularly. So long as they are healthy don't worry too much at this stage until around 8 weeks. Check their weights regularly just to ensure they aren't losing too much.

Go to Top of Page

JodiT
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2013 :  09:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of them has eaten! :) assisted feed but he ate!! I need to get some bigger fluffs as the others just spit them back out so easily..

A little off topic.. but does anyone find female hatchlings are more moody than males? Both my females expell air/hiss when I get them out then they're fine.. none of the males make a sound haha. I don't know if it's just coincidence or common?

0.1 Normal Royal - Fifi
1.0 Normal Royal - Milo
0.1 Corn Snake - Flo

Edited by - JodiT on 21/07/2013 09:52:54
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2013 :  13:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough the two of my hatchlings that aren't eating so well hiss every time I pick them up but the two that are feeding don't, I haven't had mine probed yet and was thinking that the two that were eating well were females but it could be the other way around I'll let you know when they have been sexed it will be interesting to see if their is a similarity or if its just a coincidence

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000