Montiiee's eye.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:09:02  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When i got Montiiee out tonight, i noticed one of his eyes looked different.
I turned the light on to inspect it closer and have noticed that it has a type of dent in it.
The other eye is fine, but one seems to have a little dent right in the centre of it.
Has anybody come across anything like this before.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:42:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dented eyes are usually a sign of dehydration or retained eye-caps.

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:47:22  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Dented eyes are usually a sign of dehydration or retained eye-caps.

I'm glad you said that in a way, as i thought exactly the same but wasn't sure.
However i know from when he shed, although he had a nightmare first shed with me, the eyecaps definately came off with the head.
As for the de-hydration part that would worry me, he has an exo terra large water bowl full of water, changed every day, so no reason not to drink.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  18:39:38  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
could always give him a warm bath, even if it's in a bowl, he doesn't have to actually go for a swim. water about as deep as your royal's body and about the same temp as the warm end of the viv - around 30*C, you could try adding some ReptoBoost too.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:56:15  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

could always give him a warm bath, even if it's in a bowl, he doesn't have to actually go for a swim. water about as deep as your royal's body and about the same temp as the warm end of the viv - around 30*C, you could try adding some ReptoBoost too.

Done that last night and his eye was back to normal, but this evening when i've had him out again it's dented again.
Will keep a check on things and maybe take him to the vets on tuesday, when i have a day off work if things are still the same.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  01:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a retained eye cap to me....

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  12:10:50  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

sounds like a retained eye cap to me....

He had a bad shed, but when the head piece came off there were definately both eyecaps on the shed skin.
So i'm really not sure.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  15:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not sure if one was left on previously, that a new shed would definately take it off aswell...

Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  16:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my royal had this, i left it a few days, he was definatly drinking as i witnessed this a few times and he hasd shed just days before this including his eyecaps, his eye is fine now and there is no dent..... maybe its just the scale that covers the eye instead of the eve itself if u get me ? lol

My Pets:
1.0.0 Royal Pythons-Kiros
0.2.0 leaopard geckos- bella and spot
1.0.0 german giant bearded dragon- frankie
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  18:04:06  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's about to shed again, his eye has been fine the past 3 or 4 days so i will just monitor it closely.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000