Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Guys,

As you know about 6 weeks ago I collected my first Royal python,
Well he hasn't fed at all with me in them 6 weeks! I have done everything I can think of from my experiences with Herriotfan's and my cornsnake and Herriotfan's Knowledge, but I still am unsure what to do to get him to feed I know royals can go through times without feeding but it has been almost 7 weeks. What I have tried is feeding in general , feeding with a bleeding nose, placing him in a smaller tub for feeding a night with just the food and I have tried taking all things bar a reptile fake flower and he still refused anymore Ideas?

Thanks for any help and also by the way those asking for photos I am still not very good on uploading but I did manage with GMac's help to make my profile photo my corn Megan and Busby the little lesser royal.

0.1 Corn Snake (Megan) Collected my first snake on 27/7/13
2.0 Brother (Jason)(Shaun R.I.P), 0.1 Sister (Samantha), 3.0 Budgies (Joey R.I.P,Freddie,Leo, Casper), 0.3 Dogs (Judy, Penny, Molly), 1.0 Cats (Tabs R.I.P, Timmy) 1.0 Royal Python (Lesser) Busby

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What food items have you offered?
Try different foods or try scenting chicken stock, tuna brine, chick/mouse/rat blood are a few to try.
has the royal actually lost much weight?

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno I haven't been able to weigh him everytime I go in after him he hisses at me then strikes at me! I have been offering rat pups as thats what he was on when he arrived.

2.0 Brother (Jason)(Shaun R.I.P), 0.1 Sister (Samantha), 3.0 Budgies (Joey R.I.P,Freddie,Leo, Casper), 0.3 Dogs (Judy, Penny, Molly), 1.0 Cats (Tabs R.I.P, Timmy) 1.0 Royal Python (Lesser) Busby
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where do you live? I can pop up and offer some help if you're close.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  11:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Kelfezond thanks for the offer but I looked at your details on Facebook and you are in Portsmouth

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  18:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you leaving the rat pup in the cool end overnight?

try offering a mouse the same size as the rat pup's an see if that tempts him

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  18:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he's alittle stressed/unsettled still.What's the setup like?has hides,cover and all that?Was he a good feeder at the shop or where ever? Where's he kept?

Try leaving the food in over night? Or down sizing the food etc.try braining the food item.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  18:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your food item nice and warm

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  21:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes hodgie, Yes he has everything he needs boomslang and yes he missed a feed every 3/4 weeks boomslang but not ever a 7 week, Yes i have chrisc and can I? I have fuzzies? bit smaller but i could try

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  22:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think when things like this happen and you feel like you've hit a brick wall the best thing to do is start at the very beginning and start again.

So first things first, they are nocturnal so dark is the key. What enclosure is it kept in and How do you heat it?

Next size. Royals hate open space, they like confines spaces, and - for want of a better word - clutter to hide behind and under. What size is your enclosure and how many hides and hiding places?

And finally temperature. I've found a hot spot temperature of 32-33°C works well and to be honest I've never really tracked the ambient temperature all that much but ideally over 25°C is a good place to start.

There is also feeding technique to consider too. I have found minimum intrusion overnight feeding works best for the shy Royal (mine is as shy as they come). Prep the food from about midday as mentioned above then just before you go to bed just quietly drop the rat/mouse into the enclosure, switch off the lights and go to bed.

Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2014 :  08:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lotabob thats what I do with my feeds, he does have a hot spot, he has 2 hides and one of them fake flowers you can buy for rubs and he is in a rub, I heat it with a thermostat which runs through a heat mat,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000