Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Guys,

My boy did his first hiss at me today while I was changing his water and then he struck at me again he keeps striking but never heard him hiss before what should I do to tame him I have spent 4 weeks letting him settle in because he wasn't happy but now I have spent a week handling and I thought I was getting somewhere until this last couple of days anymore Ideas?

0.1 Corn Snake (Megan) Collected my first snake on 27/7/13
2.0 Brother (Jason)(Shaun R.I.P), 0.1 Sister (Samantha), 3.0 Budgies (Joey R.I.P,Freddie,Leo, Casper), 0.3 Dogs (Judy, Penny, Molly), 1.0 Cats (Tabs R.I.P, Timmy) 1.0 Royal Python (Lesser) Busby

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pick him up before you change water, I never do anything inside my guys containers before I've picked them up or I tempt the same thing, it's scary having a hand rummage around in front of you.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  11:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Ok well I did wonder because last time I did that he struck at me

2.0 Brother (Jason)(Shaun R.I.P), 0.1 Sister (Samantha), 3.0 Budgies (Joey R.I.P,Freddie,Leo, Casper), 0.3 Dogs (Judy, Penny, Molly), 1.0 Cats (Tabs R.I.P, Timmy) 1.0 Royal Python (Lesser) Busby
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  12:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Might just be a moody snake, unfortunately it does happen sometimes. Just keep at the handling :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  12:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes ok

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  18:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like your a little unsure of what to do 1st. As with most animals they will sense if your scared and some little Royals can be quite snappy if they are nervous. He will calm down as he gets older

Now heres the really important bit - A BITE FROM A ROYAL WILL NOT HURT YOU

When you go to pick him up don`t bring your hand in infront of his head.
Heres a good video helping to deal with nervous hatchlings, hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DQssbM0uk&list=PLACC5F95E804DD5E5&feature=share&index=18

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 26/03/2014 18:42:36
Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  21:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is my first hodgie I have a corn and experience with royals but never kept my own, and Ok haha, I am currently picking him up gently with a little lid infront of him until he stops striking as i dont want him getting into that habbit.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000