Bloody Lignocel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  09:47:51  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A while ago we lost a royal when she managed to completely full her mouth with lignocel during the night.
This was very upsetting but we put it down to a freak accident and continued to use lignocel as plenty of others use it without incident. 
Just last night however our Burmese managed to fill her mouth with lignocel when eating her rat. Not as full as the royal but the roof of her mouth was solid with compacted lignocel and her lower jaw had another solid clump of it. Took her out and managed to clear it with a cotton bud (minus the cotton). 
She has now had the lignocel removed and is on newspaper. We have 30 snakes mostly on lignocel but will now be putting them on newspaper until we can decide on an alternative substrate.
We originally choose lignocel as it was very fine and thought it would be safe if they ingested any it wouldn't be big and sharp like orchid bark. Didn't think for a moment that when it gets wet it sticks together in a solid clump.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  10:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you managed to get her sorted.

id stick with aspen or cypress mulch if I had a lot of smaller snakes, the cypress mulch isnt that cheap though.
I use a mix of orchid bark and cypress mulch for the bigger snakes

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  10:08:07  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cheers Chris. Never used Cyprus mulch. Will look into that.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  19:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got it sorted. Take the risk away completely and just use paper, so it doesn`t look as nice but they won`t eat it.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  21:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad all is fine,guess its not that great.If you feed inside the viv when using this stuff.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2014 :  22:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only recently switched to Lignocel and I just tried this with a hand full of Lignocel and I have to say I'm amazed and a bit shocked at a few things.

It took very little moisture to get it to start clumping together under gentle pressure. The second thing was after I'd done this and was washing my hand my hand was completely waterproof. Covered in a oily layer. Info believe further tests and investigations into this as a reptile bedding needs to be done. I will fire off an email to the manufacturer about its composition etc.

Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2014 :  23:29:49  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully they will respond to your email. I think I'll send one of as well concerning our experience with it.

Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2014 :  02:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trouble is that although snake keepers have widely adopted Lignocel for the preferred substrate..I believe that it was originally developed for horses.
There is obviously a real danger involved and not one widely known in our snakey world.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2014 :  12:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took it out of 2 vivs, with royals that feed in viv, I only got it in my male pin stripe and my hognose as they both feed out the viv in a rub.

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Dr marshmallow brazilan black terranchala
Skellator costa Rican zebra T
Plus4 hissing cockroaches.
Reggie CA dwarf boa het blood
Willow Hognose
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2014 :  21:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

Trouble is that although snake keepers have widely adopted Lignocel for the preferred substrate..I believe that it was originally developed for horses.
There is obviously a real danger involved and not one widely known in our snakey world.

they'll just reply with...Not intended for that,the product is designed for xxxxx etc etc.If their feeling nice they might tell you more.But i wouldn't hold out much hope :)

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic