New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2014 :  14:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well willow had a bad shed recently and after a couple of baths I've managed to get most of the shed off just a bit left on her head and neck I need to get off she's back to being nosey again which is nice but still not eating I even tried to feed her when she's most active around tea time I've tried at night when we go to bed she doesn't strike in fact if you wiggle it in front of her she jumps back so I leave it and she just slithers over it like it's a door mat I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for her to decide to eat again.

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2014 :  19:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not being rude or anything but i think you need to accept the fact that she`s a Royal and this is what they do, generally as they get towards adult size they will slow right down and eat in bursts and then fast. I have one that only eats 3-4 times a year and has been doing that for about 4 years now, Of course they are all different but this is what, they do. I`d suggest slowing your feeding right down, say every 3-4 weeks then you won`t stress yourself out every week, don`t forget they go for months without feeding so a couple of weeks between offering will do no harm what so ever.
As a bit of reassurance i`ve had a female go nearly 9 months without food, on the bright side your food bills will become cheaper.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2014 :  22:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know and appreciate that it doesn't help I guess when my other snake a corn eats no matter what in blue don't matter to him she seems content enough
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2014 :  23:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all of them fast,or are picky annoying eaters.anyway,she's most likey not eating due to the shed.plus being poked/bathed etc etc.Or the shed has just added to the feed problems.

Give up trying and wait until thats sorted,then try again in afew weeks.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2014 :  14:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing to note is you don't have to worry when they don't eat , they have no requirement for regular meals so missing a meal does them no harm at all. As you've had a bad shed it is better to learn from that experience and raise the humidity when you see those first signs a shed is on it's way (milky/pink belly, dull colours). You can do this by spraying the walls of the vivarium (not the floor) or a little trick I've used in the past is drape a face cloth over the hot side hide and keep it moist.

Back to feeding. Set yourself a feeding plan, say every Sunday, and just offer food only on that day. From time to time they will refuse a meal, don't worry about it just try again next week. I actually skip The feeding day after a shed, I know he won't eat and needs a bit of time to get over it. If you offer food, they'll eat it when they need it.

Go to Top of Page

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2014 :  21:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own 4 royals ages between 18mths and 3years at the moment 3 out the 4 are not eating longest being 3mths with out food, I dont worry about it just record everything ,

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Dr marshmallow brazilan black terranchala
Skellator costa Rican zebra T
Plus4 hissing cockroaches.
Reggie CA dwarf boa het blood
Willow Hognose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic