Page: of 8

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  15:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

think it was mc`s post earlier about should royals really be classed as a beginners snake then.. damn after reading all tht plus everything else fussy feeders,RI`s,bad shedding, now sudden death..... damn think i may rethink my next purchase.Want to enjoy me animals not constantly worry over em... lastly very unfortunate about ur royals untimely demise..my sympathys are with u.

corns are more prone to sudden death than royals...some of it is down to enlarged hearts...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  15:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toothfairy

paulusworm, you read that Shirley lived with two boas for 13mths, she had three months quarantine, before going in with them. Hiss had had two years quaratine as she lived alone and seviper had 4mths quaratine before being put in with any other snake. If it was ibd, they say the onset time from catching it to a. showing syptoms or b. a fatality is very much more rapidly wouldn't this of happen within that 12month period?

not necessarily so, it can lay dormant in a boa for months or even years before you know they are a carrier or have it..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  16:11:03  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

paulusworm, you read that Shirley lived with two boas for 13mths, she had three months quarantine, before going in with them. Hiss had had two years quaratine as she lived alone and seviper had 4mths quaratine before being put in with any other snake. If it was ibd, they say the onset time from catching it to a. showing syptoms or b. a fatality is very much more rapidly wouldn't this of happen within that 12month period?

That's the thing about ibd in boas that doesn't seem fully understood. Does it lay dormant or does it just take ages to develop to contagious levels? Nobody seems to know yet. If it is the second of the two options then it could explain a lot of sudden deaths in boid/python mixed collections. It seems to work in a similar mode to hiv in humans. Aids doesn't kill the person it's the chest infection, etc. Not saying that ibd and hiv are the same it's just that a snake that has died because of ibd will manifest symptoms similar to other ailments and because that's what the vet can see during the pm they will class that as cause of death. Unless there are multiple symptoms present and the vet is aware of ibd then they probably won't think to take biopsies for testing.

Sorry if that was about as clear as mud but my 2yr old is next to me going Daddy, daddy, daddy, etc .

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  16:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no my point is that i did read up on ibd, and it says that you can have asymtimatical snakes, but in royals the onset time is rapid compared with royals, as someone pointed out in an earlier post they put royals in with boas to see if they had the disease. If they died within a month or so they took it that they had it. The point i was trying to make was that Shirley had lived with the other two snakes fror such a long period of time that seath would of came a lot sooner than 15months. They say that boas dont last that long, so therefore a royal would last even less time.

When ibd was put out the first thing i did was go and read up on it (i'm like that). None of the snakes, being the two boas and Shirley show any symtoms, now surely the chances of three asymtimatical snakes are slim. i read that it is not an overnight disease, on the friday before the sunday she died, she was being herself, yes she was a bit lathargic in the weeks before hand, but she was shedding with difficulty (which she had from day 1, i must add) and she must of been uncomfortable.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  16:47:05  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

no my point is that i did read up on ibd, and it says that you can have asymtimatical snakes, but in royals the onset time is rapid compared with royals, as someone pointed out in an earlier post they put royals in with boas to see if they had the disease. If they died within a month or so they took it that they had it. The point i was trying to make was that Shirley had lived with the other two snakes fror such a long period of time that seath would of came a lot sooner than 15months. They say that boas dont last that long, so therefore a royal would last even less time.

When ibd was put out the first thing i did was go and read up on it (i'm like that). None of the snakes, being the two boas and Shirley show any symtoms, now surely the chances of three asymtimatical snakes are slim. i read that it is not an overnight disease, on the friday before the sunday she died, she was being herself, yes she was a bit lathargic in the weeks before hand, but she was shedding with difficulty (which she had from day 1, i must add) and she must of been uncomfortable.

Ok. Please don't take this as me slating you and please don't take it personally. I'm not into all that.

What book or published academic research paper did you get your information about ibd from? The angle that I am looking at this whole ibd thing from is the development mechanism in Boas not Royals .

EDIT: typo.

Edited by - Paulusworm on 25/06/2009 16:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html

they are websites that branch off this too. So it is different for both?
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  17:06:15  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html

they are websites that branch off this too. So it is different for both?

The thing is that the situation is a bit like that of AIDS when it was first identified. The mechanism of its development isn't fully understood. Things like, why it takes so long to develop in boids and sometimes remain assymptomatic but have such a rapid onset in pythons are still open to debate. Nothing definitive has been scientifically proven yet. Lots of theories but nothing definate.

The offer still stands if you want a copy of the pdf files that I have .

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  17:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plase send if you could

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  10:06:43  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

plase send if you could

Cheers

My msn addy is on the bar above this post. Add me on messenger and I'll send them to you that way. Seems to work best. I'm on the hunt for more research papers about it before my uni subscription runs out.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000