Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Why are rats better than mice, for small royals?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:12:15  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Just wondered why, obviously when the snake is much bigger it needs bigger food items so rats get much bigger than mice. I have fed my 09 royal 3 times now on Medium mice, would I be better switching to rats once this bag in the freezer is gone? Is it that rats are more nutritional?
Sorry for so many questions.

Glyn

www.glyntjonesphotography.co.uk

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:14:43  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some find the switch over from mice to rats difficult, it's easiest if you start them on the species they'll be snacking on in the future

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:18:05  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh right, yeah that makes sense, do you think I should try a rat next week or use the mice up 1st, I have about 6 left?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:23:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'd do it asap before they become 'addicted' and difficult to convert.

As you say, when they're adult, rats go up to 250-300g, mice probably 25-30g, so you would have to feed 10 mice as an equivalent. Very awkward and very expensive.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:33:20  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
... and nutritionally not as good either

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:49:05  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ukglyn

Oh right, yeah that makes sense, do you think I should try a rat next week or use the mice up 1st, I have about 6 left?

gives you good reason to get a new snake to use up the mice.

but defently get on to rats asap

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  08:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There was a post by Black Echo on here a while ago I think that gave a breakdown of nutrional properties of different rodents & chicks etc. Rats are definately the way to go the earlier the better.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

reptiles-ink
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  09:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

As you say, when they're adult, rats go up to 250-300g, mice probably 25-30g, so you would have to feed 10 mice as an equivalent. Very awkward and very expensive.

I have 14 that in time will be converting to rabbits otherwise it will bo 50+ large rats at a time for them all.

Plenty of Retics and Burms
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
263 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:05:24  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

ok everyone is saying rats are the way to go but as gp said they arent too nutritional .. so are rats best way to go or what????

i like my animals more than i like people
Go to Top of Page

shep6413
Yearling

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

quote:

ok everyone is saying rats are the way to go but as gp said they arent too nutritional .. so are rats best way to go or what????

rats are way forward, i think GP wa saying mice arent nutritionally as good

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
263 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:37:54  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ah right ok so is the same factor apply to corns then

i like my animals more than i like people
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  11:12:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Corns will never take a large Rat though, so you would have to feed them on young (more fatty) rats. Which is why Corns tend to stay on adult Mice.

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  19:17:02  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

quote:
Originally posted by ukglyn

gives you good reason to get a new snake to use up the mice.

dont reckon the mrs would go for that as my corn will eat the mice, but deffo worth a try!!!

Go to Top of Page

mourne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  23:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My royal that i got last September has been on mice since last October as i found it hard to get the size of rats i needed and as i breed my own mice i was able to give her/him the size of mouse needed. I started breeding rats 2 months ago as i knew i needed to up the size of food for her/him, offered a rat Saturday week ago for first time and "bang" the rat was struck and eaten and another last Saturday same thing happened. I must be one of the lucky ones that has had no problem converting to rats although i have never had a refusal from him/her yet, so fingers crossed that it continues.

Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  07:04:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, there are no set rules, some will be fine. Congrats Debs.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  13:28:13  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shep6413

quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

quote:

rats are way forward, i think GP wa saying mice arent nutritionally as good

yes, thanks shep

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  13:29:38  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiles-ink

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I have 14 that in time will be converting to rabbits otherwise it will bo 50+ large rats at a time for them all.

dave where do you get your rabbits from? Marilyn's quite partial to baby ones and i think i'd like to keep her on them rather than multiple rats, what do you think?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000