Degus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  18:49:49  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Quick question. Does anyone know if it's ok to feed degus, of the appropriate size and humanely killed, to royal's. Looking at keeping a colony as pets and thinking ahead to population control

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  19:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant see any reason why not. They look like great pets, really active.

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  19:05:19  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
should be ok, they're very closely related to rats.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  19:37:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why not, they look good to me

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  19:46:42  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd been thinking this and Jurds too........
both appropriately-sized rodent-ish things..........

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  20:35:02  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking. We unfortunately lost Pikachu today and now have a thumping great chinchilla cage standing empty. The kids are in dire need of another furry pet to interact with and degus seem to fit the bill. Diurnal so the kids can interact with them and just the right size to provide food for the reps. Any that they don't eat I can either expand the colony with or sell on. I'm thinking 3 females and 1 male (male from different parents) to start with. Sound about right?

Go to Top of Page

diesel
Yearling

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  20:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was also looking at them in my local pet shop but degus used to be rspca protected i dont know if they still are but if i was you id check first

3.4 corn snakes
1.3 corn x rat snakes
4.3 royal pythons
4.2 king snakes
0.1 BCI

coming soon 1.1 butter motley corn

NEW WEB SITE...
http://kat80.webs.com/

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  20:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

That's what I was thinking. We unfortunately lost Pikachu today and now have a thumping great chinchilla cage standing empty. The kids are in dire need of another furry pet to interact with and degus seem to fit the bill. Diurnal so the kids can interact with them and just the right size to provide food for the reps. Any that they don't eat I can either expand the colony with or sell on. I'm thinking 3 females and 1 male (male from different parents) to start with. Sound about right?

Paulus, i used to rescue Degus and they make delightful little pets, they are really sweet..but BIG chewers..so will need lots of apple branches to chew on...

pretty easy to keep as long as you dont give them anything sugary as they are very prone to diabetes.....fresh carrot needs to be left to dry so the sugar is more or less gone...gone, they love millet..will sing to you, they love dandelion leaf in moderation and plenty of meadow hay to...I used to buy them a special mix and pick out the fruity bits..

anything else you need to know just shout...

by the way, there are thousands of them in rescues ...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 21/07/2009 20:49:53
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  09:54:31  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The degus are a no go on the feeder front. I raised the issue on the dark side and somebody posted a quite logical point. Like chinchillas, for their size they are mostly fur. As any of you that have dissected a royal turd will know, the fur of the feeder is usually all rolled up in the core of the poo. May as well stick to the usual feeder rodents and just get something else as a pet only.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  15:23:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
See, they do have their use occasionally and now we all know

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  01:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wanted to point out that Degus are not Rodents, they are from the same family as Chinchillas and rabbits.
if its a big cage why not just go for rats? they love attention.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page