New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  14:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey folks, I noticed my royals breathing is quite quick sometimes, maybe in and out 4 times in 5 seconds? Not all the time but quite frequently. Her RUB is 33.2C in the warm end and 22C in the cool end. Shes got a warm hide and 5 toilet roll tubes scattered around the rest of the RUB and she uses them all. She isnt displaying any other signs of illness though, shes flicking her tongue plenty and doesnt seem nervous or unwell at all. Am I being silly? Ive noticed her breathing like this when shes asleep sometimes too so I cant imagine its because shes scared (unless shes having nightmares..).

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  16:35:38  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought/worried exactly the same when I first got mine. Was suprised at how heavy/fast he was breathing. I think it might just be normal. Have you got ventilation in RUB?

Lee
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  16:41:42  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just thought, has she got a hide in cool end? How are you measuring temps in hot end?
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  22:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, yeah shes got a couple of tubes in her cool end too which she loves! Measuring temps with two digital thermometers, one probe on the floor of the warm end and same on the cool end. Heat mat under the RUB with a B2, plenty ventilation too.

She isnt acting unwell though, just had another strike feed about 10 minutes ago after eating just 5 days ago...

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)

quote:

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  23:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed the same, i think when you sit and watch them you just notice the breathing more. especially with younger smaller snakes. I would say that the temp on your cool end is very low. you said 22C which is only 72F when it should really be up around 80F which is 27C. if feeding then thats a good sign.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  19:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, yeah its a bit cool in the cool end but i cant figure out how to raise it a bit... shes doesnt seem to mind right enough and sleeps in her cool hide a fair bit. How should I raise the cool end temp a bit? Ive just got her on a heat mat at the moment but will move onto a ceramic bulb when she in a bigger viv.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)

quote:

Edited by - boze on 04/08/2009 19:45:06
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  21:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what size is the rub? any pics of how you have it set up might help. there shouldn't really be such a difference in a small rub. is it near a window or drafty area.?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  21:17:42  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spor

what size is the rub? any pics of how you have it set up might help. there shouldn't really be such a difference in a small rub. is it near a window or drafty area.?

I had the same problem with my small rub.Hot end at 30-32 but couldn't raise cold end above 23.
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  12:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres a pic:

Shes in the tube on the far right just now (cool end), Ive got the neat mat under the RUB on the left side, its a rectangular mat with the long side running along 2/3 of the back width of the RUB and coming forward about 1/2 of the RUBs depth, theres built in vents on each side and ive put in some extras along the top at the front and back and along the bottom on each side.

Its placed in the middle of a free standing set of shelves and there arent any draughts that I can feel. Do you think Ive put in too many vents? I was told to just keep the RUB simple while shes still wee and she seems perfectly happy and is feeding no problem. Also shes just coming up for a shed so have lightly misted the RUB now.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)

quote:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000