Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  22:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just weighed my royal whos just over 3ft and supposed to be bout 3 yrs old. He weighs 680grams according to kitchen scales I have just used

I've only had him a month and he's feeding on large mice once a week

is 680g too much or too little and due to his weight/length shouod he be eating more? I suspect he should be eating more and that it should be rats...

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  22:11:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would try and get him onto fairly large rat weaners, aim for 10-15% of his body weight, so a rat roughly 70-100g.

His weight is maybe a bit light for a 3 year old, but not surprising having fed on mice and certainly nothing to worry about.

Go to Top of Page

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  22:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool well hes going on a new feeding regime get him to proper weight

what does an adult make royal weigh or what should it weigh
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  22:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They can get to a few kg.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  00:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simonas

cool well hes going on a new feeding regime get him to proper weight

what does an adult make royal weigh or what should it weigh

dont over feed him though, you can do more harm than good...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

brookehamiltonx
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my snake is 250g and i got her at 4mths on october 17th O9- is this too big or to small ?x
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:01:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just fine.

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:09:13  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you feed your python every week???
Go to Top of Page

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  10:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not ure if your questions for me Bilbo but yes I do had the odd break for few days where Ihave delayed it I read that is adviseable to avoid routine
Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:30:57  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes it was as the guy told me he feed my new python every 5 or 6 days.. she seems to look abit on the slim side at the moment so i will carry on feeding her every 5 days for a bit. are rats better for them?? i have jumbo size mice for now as thats all i could get at the time the rats the shop had where very very big.. are rat weaners alot bigger then jumbo mice?? and dose anyone know where i could get some i am in the surrey area... and what sort of price sould i be looking at for a weaner?? i am paying £1.20 for a jumbo mouse at the moment..
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:01:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I feed every 5 days up to 400g. Rat Fluffs or small Rat Weaners are roughly the same size as Jumbo Mice.

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:14:15  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i dont know what she weighs at the moment but when she is out and about i will weigh her and let you know. for now to build her up abit will she be ok on 2 jumbos? could i feed her more?? like 3 large mice???? do rats have more fat in them??? how meany days apart should a 3 1/3 year old be feeding????

would like to say thanks for all your help so far...

Edited by - bilbo on 03/01/2010 15:16:37
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A 3 1/2 year old is probably going to be over 1200g and I'd only be feeding every 14 days or so.

If it is, then a mouse is never going to fill it, yes you may need several.

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:08:11  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so if i was to feed her 3 mice every feed for abit to build her up do you think this will be ok. i will weigh her as soon as i can. and maybe feed her every 8 days for 2 or 3 feeds..

thank you very much for your help so far its been a big help.. i would rather ask and sound thick then harm the snake.....
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:15:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gaining weight too quickly will just give you a fat and hence unhealthy snake, so no, I wouldn't try to 'build her up' quickly. Just feed her the right amount and she'll be fine.

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:20:51  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok thanks again...
Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  10:19:52  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can you feed a royal on chicks?? can they live on them?? thanks
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Yearling

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its not advisable.. they have not a lot of goodness in them and they are rather messy apparently when they come out the other end!

Sigs by lucifer
2.1 Cornsnakes: Montana (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender).
2.0 Royal Pythons: Q & Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun King Snake: Simba
Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:32:33  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lol cool thanks hannah. how old are your pythons???
Go to Top of Page

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  23:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simonas

just weighed my royal whos just over 3ft and supposed to be bout 3 yrs old. He weighs 680grams according to kitchen scales I have just used

I've only had him a month and he's feeding on large mice once a week

is 680g too much or too little and due to his weight/length shouod he be eating more? I suspect he should be eating more and that it should be rats...

weighed him today and hes 1045 g and hasn;t eaten for 10 weeks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  08:50:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As in he has put in 400g without eating? - Or has he eaten since you last weighed?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000