New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brads
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  01:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm still thinking about getting a royal. The other day I popped into one of my local reptile dealers and asked for a bit of advice about them. To my amazment this guy told me that at a local show he went to a royal breeder said the best viv size was about one and a half foot for an adult royal!! He claims that he has had many royals in three and four foot vivs that did'nt feed as they get stressed so keeping them in a much smaller space helps them feel more secure and all of them had fed. The guy in the pet shop said he had a customer with a royal that did'nt eat for four months, so he took the royal on and housed him in the small viv and within a week he was feeding!! Should I belive this... usally they give good advice. I should of asked how does that work if the snake requires a warm and cold end??
What are your thoughts on this? It seems abit small for me!!

Cheers Brads

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  06:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The do like smaller, crampped spaces but IMO 1.5 foot seems a little small for a fully grown royal.

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree 1.5 foot seems too small, no heating gradient, no room to move. The royal that didn`t eat for months then ate within a week of going into a small viv could have been coincidence plus you dont know what conditions it was kept in before. Same with the royals that were kept in 3 and 4 ft vivs. You dont know how they were kept. Did they have hides, plants etc to pack the viv out. In my experience reptile shops dont always give the best advice.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  10:15:42  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Horses for courses to be honest. My vivs are all glass (bar Boo's) and mine are happy eaters, and I keep getting told that royals don't eat in glass vivs, lol.

I would say 3ft for adults is perfectly fine so long as u provide correct provision for the snake within the viv.

Personally I would like to try housing Stig in a 5 footer but afford him loads of foliage hides and a burrow, think it would be kinda cool.

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  16:52:18  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've heard this and know someone who uses this method. It's not long term but it does take them back to basics and from there she progresses them into bigger enclosures etc ... She is renowned for getting none feeding EVERYHING to eat

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  17:57:40  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
putting a royal in a smaller than recommended viv to get it feeding can often work but when feeding is established a bigger viv would certainly be more beneficial

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000