Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  15:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all my royal Rudi didnt look well at all over the past few days he hasnt eaten for 6 weeks and hes been in shed for the last two weeks but the skin had just stayed on him like a baggy sock so i took him to the rep shop where i bought him and he gave me some solution called shed ease told me to bathe him in this and rub him gently to help the skin come off so with gentle care and help from my wife Lynda i managed to do this!!The guy at the shop also told me after id helped him shed i must assist feed him being new to keeping snakes im a bit warey about doing this as i dont want to hurt Rudi by doing it can some of you lovely peeps give me some advice plsssssss

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  17:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone at all??

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  17:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if there is anyone who can help you it is karl ( sorry Karl ), if you were closer to me i would do it,

how much weight has he lost? and how old is he again?

your in Sheffield arent...lol you? how mobile are you if someone can be found who would offer to help you ?

i qould be there in a heartbeat if i could get to you.

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  17:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi im in Halifax he feels like hes getting really skinny havent had chance to weigh him cos i thought i would let him get over his assist shed first going to have a go at the assist feed tonight hope it goes well the guy told me when i bought him he was strike feeding not so sure now!!!!! also said he was cb not sure about that now either

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  18:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by longjon75

hi im in Halifax he feels like hes getting really skinny havent had chance to weigh him cos i thought i would let him get over his assist shed first going to have a go at the assist feed tonight hope it goes well the guy told me when i bought him he was strike feeding not so sure now!!!!! also said he was cb not sure about that now either

if you can email me a contact number or email addy my email is

acfbates@btinternet.com

i have a friend in Rotherham who might be able to help, just waiting for him to get back to me now and i will pass on your details to him if that is ok;-)

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  18:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive sent you contact details wolf thanks

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  18:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one other thing, have you got a photo of his current set up? cant remember if you already posted it..

did you use a moss box whilst he was shedding?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  18:30:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hold the snake firmly and use the nose of the rat/mouse to open the snake's mouth and ease it in. Don't force it down the throat, fingers crossed the snake will chomp down on it and you can put it back into it's viv.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  18:37:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

i have a friend in Rotherham who might be able to help, just waiting for him to get back to me now and i will pass on your details to him if that is ok;-)

Who's that Anne?

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  18:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just done that anne i have put him back in the viv with the rat pup in his mouth wiil keep you posted fingers crossed!!

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn damn damn damn damn put the rat pup in his mouth looked promising but after a minute he was thrashing around trying to get it out which he did so i had 1 pinkie left which was tiny so i tried him with that and he did exactly the same again thrashed around until it fell out of his mouth not sure if royals are my thing although he is my favorite snake!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
assist and force feeding can be VERY stressful....... and not just for the snake!

has he lost a lot of weight recently? how are you heating the prey item? has he ever eaten with you? was he previously an established feeder? if so on what prey item and size? what is your set up like? could it be contributing towards him not feeding?

(there's more but i need to stop for air........ )

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i got him at 4 weeks old the guy in the shop said hed been strike feeding and had done this 3 times which i think is unlikely now also hed been feeding on mouse pinkies ive tried him on pinkies and rat pups he doesnt even look interested in food whatsoever ive tried feeding him them by warming them in a bag placed in hotwater hairdrier braining cutting the belly open i got him at 60 grams hes now approx 50 grams

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:24:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jon, would you like someone to try to help? - Would you want someone to take him in for a bit to try?

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes that would be a great help who did you have in mind??

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:29:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well it sounded like Anne had someone in mind or maybe Ali (Gingerpony) or I could help. However, it would not guarantee anything (if you catch my drift).

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whos the closest im in halifax it would be a great help

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:33:58  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is normal for them to spit it out several times before taking the food.

I will try to explain how I do it, if you need to speak to me (as it's hard to explain in type) pm me for a number:

Open the snakes mouth with the food, once inside the snakes mouth keep hold of the snake until you feel the snake relax slightly. Once they relax I tend to let the Royal sit in my lap, with me still holding gently. After a while you will see the snake start to chomp down or spit it out. During the whole time the food is in the mouth you must stay TOTALLY STILL.
If the snake spits it out, just repeat. I tend to give in after 20-25 mins of trying.

Go to Top of Page

longjon75
Yearling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Karl Anne has my phone number if you want to get it from her do you think it will be ok to try again tonight cos i dont want to stress him out too much and ive tried him 4 times twice with a rat pup and twice with pinkie??

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:44:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I live between Rotherham and Barnsley if that helps.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  19:52:02  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
add me on msn, karlcdawson@hotmail.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000