Royal Python Health
 Shed aid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:38:01  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, just to prove that Boo really can't do anything for herself, she has failed to shed, and failed spectacularly.

Two weeks ago she started to "try" to shed, and a few patches came away, though pretty much nothing in real terms. She won't use a moss hide, she won't go in her hot hide if there is moss in it, etc etc etc

So, today, for one hour and 20+ mins I have sat applying shed aid to one very useless snake. She is so used to be handled (being a useless feeder, and therefore an assist feeder) that she just sat there while I helped her get it off. 90% of her is done now, only her head and 2" of neck to finish another day (my fingers hurt)

Anyways, just to say that shed aid helped immesurably! I did try water spraying to see if there was any difference and there really is.

Also, this proves that bad shed is not always setup dependant, as Boo has an IDENTICAL setup to the one Who had (same box, same heat mat, same thermostat, same hides, same place, I really mean identical) and she shed no bother at all.

You know what, all the effort I put into Boo makes me like her more, not less, strange but she has really grown on me.

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  18:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl do you think it may be more to do with her condition then? with the not feeding or what?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  21:11:21  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
has to be tbh, she was the skinniest, has the least will to eat, etc etc etc

Thing is, she is SOOOO nicely coloured, I don't care if I have to assist for the rest of her life, she would be worth it.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  22:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she is beautiful, is she orange colour like Kayla my cf royal?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  21:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem with Ebanks the other week - it was his first shed since being with us, and only a tiny bit came off his head. he tried for a few hours but I could see he was tired so got him out and assisted. He was a bit irate at first, but soon realised that I was trying to help and sat back and let me do.
It was quite funny at one point coz when I came to doing under his chin, he sort of led back and let me get on with it. when I stopped he stayed in the same position as if he wanted me to keep rubbing him under the chin. I wish I could have taken a picture, but obviously I had my hands full.

Shed aid is really good stuff, but as it is quite expensive, I tend to keep it in case of bad eye sheds as it is less stressful than rubbing the head.

Anyway, glad you managed to get it all off. :)

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  23:08:25  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

very orange tbh

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  23:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karl

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

very orange tbh

you should keep her then...she might be a dinker project

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  15:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah my friend got a wee common boa a few weeks ago and the shop had told her she had a bad start but was fine now. She started shedding a week after he got her and after 4 weeks still hasnt totally shed. Shes had baths and shed aid and there was some parts of her that had TWO layers of skin coming off! Shes also got a wee bump of skin on the end of her nose thats built up. Scotts slowly getting her back on track but she should never have been sold in that condition!! I dont think ill ever buy a snake from a shop, breeders all the way...

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000