Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it was finally my turn to get the blighters after 2 1/2 years no probs. Unfortuantly i think they came with Tia, the royal i acquired at the weekend (doesn't help when i read that african snakes esp the royal are a 'natural host' to them). Lets hope it don't spread to my non-african snakes.
Jist is i've done what i can tonight (poor girl didn't like the soaking), but i was wondering what people's opinion on using the Beaphar Insect Spray (and how often do i repeat the treatment (am i meant to) and at what intervals? The instructions don't say and when i google it i just get sites that are selling it.

Got Ardap on order have people used it? And what do they think?

If the answers are on a thred i haven't found i do apologise.

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.0.1 leucistic rat snake
0.1.0 royal

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:41:24  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TBH............. waste of time?

Ardap or Frontline personally..........

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:58:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As above. I've used Frontline and have heard good things about Ardap.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  23:09:29  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
another vote for ardap and frontline here, best £30 you can spend (roughly £20 for frontline spray and £10 for ardap)

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  06:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive used Ardap with some good results.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  18:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had mites with my first Royal and used an oil bath, never had a problem since.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  18:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, and these are more than likely going to be my famous last words there don't seem to be too many. The water bath she hated but i only found 2 in there after, the rest seem to be around the eye. Is there any specific method in killing them ones? Don't want to damage her eyes. Have been putting vaseline where the mites seem to be in order to either suffocate them or get them to move.

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.1.0 royal
Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would just try an oil bath. i left my snake in it for 20 mins and he hated every minute of it, but that and using the ardap on the viv worked a treat
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by koreybum

i would just try an oil bath. i left my snake in it for 20 mins and he hated every minute of it, but that and using the ardap on the viv worked a treat

Mine was quite relaxed once she was in. I went to town on the viv and left it empty for a week. Also put my royal into a rub in a different room, apparently mites can travel quite some distance.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  08:23:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bex81

To be honest, and these are more than likely going to be my famous last words there don't seem to be too many. The water bath she hated but i only found 2 in there after, the rest seem to be around the eye. Is there any specific method in killing them ones? Don't want to damage her eyes. Have been putting vaseline where the mites seem to be in order to either suffocate them or get them to move.

There may not be many mites, but how many eggs have they laid

You won't damage her eyes if you're careful, they have a clear scale over their eyes for protection.

Go to Top of Page

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  13:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ardap came today, well chuffed only ordered it thursday. Her viv has been disinfected and sprayed with the ardap. Waiting for it to dry so i can pop her in and do the same with the other one. Since the Ardap lasts 6 weeks should i continue disinfecting the viv on a daily basis and re-spray? or just disinfect the water bowl? Now for the rest of the vivs just to make sure.
She seems ok in herself but i don't know what her personality is like without them, but she ate her small mouse with relish and seemed to be looking for more. I'll take that as a good sign.

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.1.0 royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  16:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Ardap came today, well chuffed only ordered it thursday. Her viv has been disinfected and sprayed with the ardap. Waiting for it to dry so i can pop her in and do the same with the other one. Since the Ardap lasts 6 weeks should i continue disinfecting the viv on a daily basis and re-spray? or just disinfect the water bowl? Now for the rest of the vivs just to make sure.
She seems ok in herself but i don't know what her personality is like without them, but she ate her small mouse with relish and seemed to be looking for more. I'll take that as a good sign.

spray a smallish peice of kitchen roll with ardap allow it to dry and put it in one corner of her viv and leave it there..if there are any more they are apparently attracted to the ardap and it will kill them...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 15/08/2009 16:33:31
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  19:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just used the spray once. I would use kitchen roll as substrate but i would change it every few days and use cardboard hides. I would also disinfect all the resin bits and bobs and throw away all wooden bits, like cork bark just to make sure.

Good luck with it all...

Edited by - dazb on 15/08/2009 19:20:54
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  23:14:39  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really is a case of total all out warfare, and you will find you win that way. Cut any corners and the little buggers will still be there.

The good thing about ardap is the 6 weeks apparently covers a full mite cycle, thus killing any eggs potentially laid.

Go to Top of Page

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  18:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its looking good. Changed the paper towels earlier and there were a good 10 pls dead. €squished them to make sure. They are so not going to beat me.

Thanks for all the advice so far, have found it useful.

Die mites die!!!!

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.1.0 royal
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  08:08:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't suppose you've been taking photos as you've gone along have you?

If you have it could be helpful for others who find themselves in similar situations.

Go to Top of Page

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  20:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No photo's i'm afraid, but can do step by step to what i've done if that helps?

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.1.0 royal
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  20:33:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I did one on Frontline usage a while ago (http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1320), so would be good to have an alternative for people.

Go to Top of Page

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you guys did treat your snakes for mites how long did it take? The reason i'm asking is there were a load of dead ones on sunday, but i haven't seen any dead or alive since then. Started fighting them thursday, and from what i've read it sounded like it should take longer. Is Ardap really that good, am i lucky or are they lurking ready to pounce again when my back is turned. Still going to continue what i'm doing for another couple of weeks.
Read that thread on frontline and i'm impressed that Tia readily ate on sat (and a fuzzy yesterday - it was well cute put it on the tissue and she got so excited she didn't seem to know what to do with it, picked it up in the tongs and, well, lets say she would have given superman a run for his money.

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.1.0 royal
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  09:35:05  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only thing you could fall foul of is that if there are eggs lying around and they hatch. Once you have done a few days without any dead coming out I would frontline the snake (gets rid of ANY of the really determined buggers) and then change the WHOLE viv furniture (or make damn sure it's clean).

Then it's a 6 week wait to see if any eggs hatch.

oh, and yes, ardap is that good, it draws them in and kills on contact

Go to Top of Page

Bex81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2009 :  20:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its looking good, touch wood no sign of the mites & she's eaten like i haven't fed her in months. Wish i wouldn't jump when she strikes at the mice. She had 2 hoppers and was wanting more (was paying too much attention to the baby corns being fed).

I thought the eggs hatched within 4 days of being laid.

Also she seems to be shedding scales singly. Majority deem to be belly scales but there others as well. Is this normal after a mite infestation? Should i be worried?

3.4.3 corns
1.1.0 hognoses
0.1.0 royal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000