Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Or they see the other snake as something to hide behind/under.

quote:
Originally posted by Vazzza

Damn, i got told lol

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be offensive, nothing wrong with your question.

Go to Top of Page

matty198111
Yearling

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  19:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Most snakes are solitary creatures, Royals in particular.

A few snakes (such as Garters) are fine in groups.

I have also seen studies say that Burmese Pythons are less aggressive if co-habitted while young.

However, as this is a Royal Python dedicated forum, then I have seen no evidence at all that co-habitation benefits the snakes. There are however proven risks associated with housing together.

hi again

now im not disagreeing but as you know i keep my 2 royals together

and also my bro in law has 2 royals he used to keep 1 upstairs in spare room and one down stairs in study, one day the one upstairs decided he didnt want to eat and this went on for months so my bro in law thought maybe he was lonely and put him in with the other royal (which was from same clutch as are mine) and yep you guessed it they have ate every feeding day since and that was 9 or 10 years ago.

now as i said im not disagreeing with anyone on this forum as i believe that everyone has there own opinion and everyone has some good advice,
but im just saying what i saw and its up to you to make your own minds

mat
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  20:01:29  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm not against co-habiting but it MUST be done correctly..............
i co habit most of my corns bar one recently purchase still effectively in quarantine, and my 16 year old corn, but it MUST be done right to accomodate the health and welfare of both snakes.
you should also have the provision to re house one snake on it's own and still meet all of it's needs should something untoward happen. i currently have 4 spare vivs on standby with heating and stats....... just in case!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  21:10:04  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i must admit that i have been considerating co habitation myself even though i have advised people against it which in a way would make me a hypocrite,i would'nt delibertly buy 2 royals to house togethher but im stuck with one the i took in to rehome and cant sell it and dont have enough room for another viv if i kept it and even though their both o8's and the viv is big enough for 4 hides and everything would be done properly ect im still very concerned about doing it and im finding it very hard to decide wether to or not.I know some would say the dicision is not hard because the risk is there so dont do it but like gp said if it's done properly the risks would be greatly reduced.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 20/08/2009 21:29:41
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  21:18:40  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

...which in a way would make me a hypoctit...
it would make you a what??? lmao

i co-habit my corns but wouldn't co-habit royals or my Dums even if the sizes matched up. some species definitely shouldn't co-habit under any circumstances such as kings.........

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  21:25:28  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol,ciders kicking in

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  21:29:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

lol,ciders kicking in
*jealous*
*wanders off to find wine.........*

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  22:37:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Lee, it would be nice to all of a sudden be able to double my collection

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  23:21:50  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
looks like if i dont find a home for him i might have to sneak another viv in somewhere,he fine in his fuan at the moment,plus he's still in quarantine at the moment in our bedroom so he's not moving anywhere yet unless he gets sold.Got a feeling he's staying though lol

Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  09:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or they see the other snake as something to hide behind/under.

quote:
Originally posted by Vazzza

Damn, i got told lol

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be offensive, nothing wrong with your question.

Don't worry, i was only joking lol

quote:

i must admit that i have been considerating co habitation myself even though i have advised people against it which in a way would make me a hypocrite,i would'nt delibertly buy 2 royals to house togethher but im stuck with one the i took in to rehome and cant sell it and dont have enough room for another viv if i kept it and even though their both o8's and the viv is big enough for 4 hides and everything would be done properly ect im still very concerned about doing it and im finding it very hard to decide wether to or not.I know some would say the dicision is not hard because the risk is there so dont do it but like gp said if it's done properly the risks would be greatly reduced.

Would it not be best to see if both were happy outside of a viv/faun together. Once they've 'met' a few times maybe they will be more happy with becoming house mates?? Just a thought as i really am too new to this to know, well, anything lol

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  18:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty198111

quote:

I have also seen studies say that Burmese Pythons are less aggressive if co-habitted while young.

However, as this is a Royal Python dedicated forum, then I have seen no evidence at all that co-habitation benefits the snakes. There are however proven risks associated with housing together.

hi again

and also my bro in law has 2 royals he used to keep 1 upstairs in spare room and one down stairs in study, one day the one upstairs decided he didnt want to eat and this went on for months so my bro in law thought maybe he was lonely and put him in with the other royal (which was from same clutch as are mine) and yep you guessed it they have ate every feeding day since and that was 9 or 10 years ago.

now as i said im not disagreeing with anyone on this forum as i believe that everyone has there own opinion and everyone has some good advice,

mat

Is it not possible that it ate because its conditions were better in the other viv instead of it being because the other royal was there?

Go to Top of Page

matty198111
Yearling

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  22:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by matty198111

quote:

hi again

mat

Is it not possible that it ate because its conditions were better in the other viv instead of it being because the other royal was there?

yes matty that is totally possible and as i said im not disagreeing

but both vivs had same substrate, even the same thickness, both temps and humidity were read from ( 2 of each in each ) thermastsats and hydrometers all husbandry were same.

personally i just beleive that each snake is different maybe JUST maybe some like to live together and some dont.
maybe if he woulda put the one downstairs in the upstairs room it may have been different, personally i have to say no i dont think it would have been, my opinion is they look like they enjoy the company, who knows i maybe proved wrong ( i seriously hope not )

i suppose at the end of the day is were all keeping our snakes healthy and what seems to be happy. and i reckon thats what matters

mat
Go to Top of Page

Raving
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  22:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you have any problems feeding with the increased viv size, move it back.

no probs taking food hes strike feeding like as bolt out of a crossbow, im well pleased

cheers for the posts guys

regards rave

0.0.1 royal (mulder)
1.0.0 carolina corn (bobby)
0.1.0 Hypomelanistic corn (elsie)

if life is simple!!!! why are there so many smart people?????
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000