New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  11:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read a few times on here that the best set-up for a viv for an adult royal would have a bulb and not a heat mat. Why is this?

I'm a way off moving Gary into his viv but want to be prepared. I already have a heat mat that could be used with my viv, but if there are reasons against using it i'll make sure i'm ready for the move with a bulb and the correct stat.

Cheers

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  12:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i believe it has something to do with thermal blocking....? where the larger bodied snakes sit on the mat the heat mat overheats...or something to that effect anyways.
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  13:02:44  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Vazzza

I might be wrong but i think its partly due to the weight of the royal and its size which means being on a heat mat when adult its potentially not receieving the right heating! (I'm sure i will be corrected if im wrong which i dont mind obviously)

I have an 07 royal in a RUB on a heat mat and he is in perfect health however the room he is kept in does get cold in the winter months which will be unacceptable for him using just a heat mat so he is having his own viv built and i will be using a ceramic bulb instead which not only gives him a 'hot spot' but also gives a better ambient air temp (both my royals will be in vivs by the time it starts getting colder)

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  13:03:18  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
correct, the heavier bodied snakes really require more air heat than underbelly. IMHO mats are all good and well for corns/garters/youngsters, but I believe they are too cool (as they don't heat air temps) for Royals. Also the blistering I have seen from snakes relating to mats are just horrific.

Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  13:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did see the thread a few days ago where a royal had managed to get burnt by a heat mat, horrific is only the beginning.

Well i guess i'm lucky Gary won't be ready for his viv for quite a while yet, will need to start saving for a new stat and bulb!

Cheers all

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000