New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  09:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi quick question get my royal out 2-3 times a week and hold her in my hands but she wants to go on floor and investigate , my girlfriends due to give birth soon and she wont let me put her on carpet or anywhere because of germs is there a real risk with the baby catching something. anybody else with very young child what do you do ?

moved from Intros to General by GP

Edited by - Gingerpony on 19/08/2009 19:09:53

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  11:21:28  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there is a risk of catching salmanela (spelling)at any age but i have read that you should'nt really keep reps if you have babies under 3,i think good hygene is the key but i would not put it on the floor if the babies going to be down there too.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 19/08/2009 11:22:35
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  11:54:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My kids have always handled our snakes from as young as 2 I think. They know that they have to use the anti-bac gel after though to kill off the Salmonella.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  19:11:22  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i only had cornsnakes while i was pregnant and when i first had my daughter.... with good normal hygiene it's been no problem at all. and the main salmonella risk is with snakes that require higher humidity.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  19:18:00  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to do risk assesments for very young children coming into contact with reptiles and the main risk as folk've said is Salmonella. Anti-bacterial gel is the way to go before and after handling.I would advise against the snake and baby sharing the same floorspace, difficult to be sure you have killed all the germs, unlike the gel on your hands which does.
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  20:31:23  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm more laid back than most, and Sam handles mine all the time if he wants to (mainly stroking with one hand), he's two and has done so since he was 1. I admit to occasionally forgetting to use hand gel too. Then again, I have two dogs and he handles them all the time. I'm sure there are things on the floor worse than my snakes ;)

It's hard to persuade any pregnant woman though, my wife was torture when she was pregnant.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  20:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karl

It's hard to persuade any pregnant woman though, my wife was torture when she was pregnant.

and they dont even have to be pregnant to be hard to persuade

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  21:56:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karl

that's cos being pregnant is torture in itself!!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  08:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

that's cos being pregnant is torture in itself!!

See, us guys have been trying to tell you girls that for years but you still keep insisting on wanting babies. Just get a puppy, much better.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000