New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  09:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I was on to another good thing when I had another successuful strike the other night. He constricted the poor mouse so hard its innards came out. Rotten! He had bitten the mouse in the side so had to do some re-arranging to get it down, only problem was that he decided to go the wrong way and try to take it backwards. After a valiant fight he gave up. Luckily he went for the head after I had repositioned it head on. I was just wondering if it better to try and get him to drop the mouse if he is struggling or just leave him to battle away with it backwards?

2.1.0 Royal - Memphis & tbc
2.0.0 Labs - Cooper & Max
1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  09:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to pythons, but my king used to eat backwards more often that not and didn't have a problem, hearing the legs snap back was interesting tho! I think the right advice would be to let the battle commence, if he manages to eat it, great, if not then he will stop himself anyway. But pelase wait for someone else's advice as well

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he goes for the wrong end and eats it, thats fine. If he goes for the wrong end, and finds he cant eat, leave him to it. He will manage eventually. If he gives up because he cant find the head, give it another wiggle with the tongs moving it so that he has to strike the head.

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  11:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened to me the other day - he struck and couldnt figure out where the head was. I tried to take it back out but he kept striking at it and taking it back. (no way was he going to let his dinner go!!). Anyway after striking three times he eventually ate it bum first - took longer than normal, but he enjoyed.

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  11:31:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
best to leave them to it,I read that they learn which end is which by the direction of the fur.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  14:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can i just say, my advice was right. OOOOOHHHHHH YEAH lol I am now officialy and expert!

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  15:08:07  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Definately best off leaving him to it.
Montiiee has taken dinner backwards before, it was real funny watching him battle.
But i feel he has learnt his lesson, as now if he gets it at the wrong end he generally lets go and looks at it as if to say " what the hell are you doin trying to go in my mouth the wrong way" and moves to the head.

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wont hurt him to feed from the wrong end, my corns do it all the time. If he struggles he will give up and should go to the right end so i would leave him to it.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  23:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silly question but do you guys dangle the food in the air for your snakes to strike at or put them on the ground?

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  06:49:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I normally try to hold them horizontally with the head pointing at the snake. I have a couple though that are so eager that you don't really even get time to open the door!

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  08:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like mine to strike, but Princess doesn't always. Sometimes she just lurks in her cave and I leave the rat with its head poking in. It's usually gone in the morning.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  09:21:30  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if they start eating backwards leave them to it, it's better than trying to take it off them as that could put them off feeding next time.

if they're really struggling they usually give up and try and find the head end themselves

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  17:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Silly question but do you guys dangle the food in the air for your snakes to strike at or put them on the ground?

D

I always hold it by the tail and dangle it in the air

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  00:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hold just were back ends and tail starts and dangle about 1" above the ground.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle

Edited by - spor on 27/08/2009 00:38:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: